small DSL 3 wkst'n network

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBMan

Daemon Poster
Hi, my friend's family is getting DSL, They asked me if I could setup their home network so they can share it among their home systems. Just want to clear some stuff up on my side to make sure I know what i'm doing. So im pretty sure the DSL modem comes in on an Ethernet/Cat5 cable. Correct me if im wrong, so does that mean can i just plug that ethernet cable into a hub, and connect the other 3 computers to the hub, or will the modem have an ethernet output, if so do i plug that into the hub along with the other 3 computers? how does this all work, then when the home network is set up the computers should automatically gain internet access correct?, any reply is greatly appreciated. thanks!

Phone line>>modem>>RJ-45

Then connect to a ROUTER. After that you need to setup PPPoE on the router (user/PW)

The rest is all plug and play

if you wanted to connect using a hub, you'd need to implement ICS. You would setup a host workstation to serve inet access, this machine will need two network cards; one for modem, another connected to the hub. Your clients should connect using dhcp. Downside is that the machine hosting the inet must be on and connected to serve access.

tutorial
http://www.homenethelp.com/ics/ics-install-sxp.asp

You could potentially use a hub if you wanted each PC to use the PPPoE software to connect to the service provider. But many providers prevent multiple logins. A small router is the best way to go.

alright, thanks, i think i've decided on a router. what should I do about cables, what should i suggest to them... cables lying along the floor under carpets, or somehow around the room up in the ceiling kinda thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom