Slow speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
when you say internet wont work at all,are there certain sites that you cant access or you just cant get online at all??
i ask this as i know there are M.T.U issues with some routers/I.S.P's

There were sometimes when the internet didn't work at all. That happened a couple of times during the first few months after the router was installed but it stopped now.

if your router has built in firewall,make sure you have disabled your 'built in' firewalls.xp,sp2(if installed)-[by the way if its installed,did the probs start after or before??].also disable things like zone alarm,make sure if you have norton av that its not running in 'auto protect'.
i always check the obvious things first-and i'm sure you have done this already.
also,did you follow KILLIAN's advice and try disconnecting from the router and connect direct??

I suspect there could be software issues at play here, besides the obvious potential cable/router issues. Have you installed any new software packages lately? Did you perhaps get bogged down by a spyware package, and are not aware of it? Peer-to-peer file sharing programs frequently load up a lot of unwanted software packages that can bog down the speed of your Internet connection horribly.

demooseus said:
if your router has built in firewall,make sure you have disabled your 'built in' firewalls.xp,sp2(if installed)-[by the way if its installed,did the probs start after or before??].also disable things like zone alarm,make sure if you have norton av that its not running in 'auto protect'.
i always check the obvious things first-and i'm sure you have done this already.
also,did you follow KILLIAN's advice and try disconnecting from the router and connect direct??

Yeah, I disabled that stuff. I haven't tried disconnecting the router and connecting direct as I'm pretty sure that's the reason for these problems and my sister would ***** at me if I removed it. I just posted this topic to see if there was some way around it...

!AAATechOne said:
I suspect there could be software issues at play here, besides the obvious potential cable/router issues. Have you installed any new software packages lately? Did you perhaps get bogged down by a spyware package, and are not aware of it? Peer-to-peer file sharing programs frequently load up a lot of unwanted software packages that can bog down the speed of your Internet connection horribly.

I didn't but if I did, it probaly would of been removed in the near daily adaware scans I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom