Setting up TrueCrypt on new laptop (first time)

GLaDOS

In Runtime
Hi all,

Setting up TrueCrypt for the first time and had a few questions after reading some of the documentation watching a few tutorial videos on YouTube:

1. After encryption finishes, will I need to enter my decryption password each time I boot up the laptop?

2. My laptop does not have a CD drive. When TrueCrypt asks for a Recovery CD, does the ISO have to be burned to a CD or will TrueCrypt be able to verify if I burn the ISO image to a USB drive using ImgBurn?

3. Any other considerations to take into account? The laptop uses an SSD drive for what it's worth.

As always, your help is much appreciated!

TrueCrypt is not secure. There were vulnerabilities found and it is no longer being maintained so those security issues remain unpatched.

Use bitlocker.

What iParanormalx has said is correct.

TrueCrypt is no longer maintained by the developers and is highly vulnerable to brute force attacks. Their were rumours going around at the time the DDW became globally known about in the mainstream and apparently the NSA wanted back doors put in too TrueCrypt.

My recommendation is not bit locker but VeraCrypt.

VeraCrypt is a folk in the road to TrueCrypt and it has a similar set up.

You can use a USB Memory stick to store DATA for your encryption needs such as keys ECT:

Hi all,

I appreciate the feedback! I'm aware of the TrueCrypt "controversy" (for lack of a better term) and have read up on the alternatives - VeraCrypt and Bitlocker (which I have some experience with).

Based on my research so far, the 7.1a version of TrueCrypt does still appear to be recommended, as it was audited and found to have only a few minor issues.

I will certainly check into both TrueCrypt and VeraCrypt more - I am assuming the VeraCrypt setup is very similar to the TrueCrypt setup. If that is the case, can anyone advise on questions 1 and 2?

Thanks!

VeraCrypt is a folk in the road to TrueCrypt and it has a similar set up.

Be advised that there is a huge lack of verification behind the security of all forks of TrueCrypt. I do not advise using any fork such as Discryptor, CipherShed, VeraCrypt. Because these security applications are community developed, they never get good testing. So its almost impossible to verify that the same weakness in TrueCrypt does not exist in these forks.

For a Windows environment, Bitlocker is widely used as the standard for enterprise deployments in businesses such as hospitals and MSPs.

Bitlocker comes native in all Windows 8 OS or newer version Pro or better.

Be advised that there is a huge lack of verification behind the security of all forks of TrueCrypt. I do not advise using any fork such as Discryptor, CipherShed, VeraCrypt. Because these security applications are community developed, they never get good testing. So its almost impossible to verify that the same weakness in TrueCrypt does not exist in these forks.

For a Windows environment, Bitlocker is widely used as the standard for enterprise deployments in businesses such as hospitals and MSPs.

Bitlocker comes native in all Windows 8 OS or newer version Pro or better.

Based on my understanding, Bitlocker is only "available" on the Professional versions of Windows and not the Home versions (I put available in quote b/c as I understand it - all of the technology is there, the Home version of the OS just doesn't used it.)

If I am wrong on this, please let me know!

I appreciate all of the input and suggestions, however I still don't have a clear understanding on my original questions (specifically questions 1 and 2, copied below).

Can somebody advise on this for the TrueCrypt and Veracrypt options, as I assume they are fairly similar? I'm pretty familiar with the Bitlocker encryption process, which is why I've excluded it from these questions.

1. After encryption finishes, will I need to enter my decryption password each time I boot up the laptop?

2. My laptop does not have a CD drive. When TrueCrypt asks for a Recovery CD, does the ISO have to be burned to a CD or will TrueCrypt be able to verify if I burn the ISO image to a USB drive using ImgBurn?

VeraCrypt is currently supported and kept up to date with the latest security algorithms.

VeraCrypt adds enhanced security to the algorithms used for system and partitions encryption making it immune to new developments in brute-force attacks.
VeraCrypt also solves many vulnerabilities and security issues found in TrueCrypt.
https://www.veracrypt.fr/en/Home.html

(and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than buying windows pro. imho)

For your reading pleasure:
http://lifehacker.com/windows-encryption-showdown-veracrypt-vs-bitlocker-1777855025

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom