Set up Internet gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard596

In Runtime
I currently have COMPUTER_1 connected directly to the internet via dial-up modem and running a proxy server. Then COMPUTER_2 connects to the internet through COMPUTER_1. I was told that I could set up a gateway on COMPUTER_1 instead of a proxy and that would eliminate the need to configure all my programs on COMPUTER_2 to work with a proxy server (some don't even support proxies). I got Kerio WinRoute Pro (it was recommended by a friend) and I installed it on COMPUTER_1, but I can't get COMPUTER_2 online. I think it's just a matter of getting the right configuration on both systems. Any help on this?

assuming you have windows you can use the ICS feature to share your 56k or use sysgate home office software. what you are doing sounds much harder than it should be.

Both systems are running Windows XP Pro and I did try to set up the built-in ICS but couldn't get it to work. If I uninstall all proxy/gateway software and start fresh, what steps do I need to do to get it working?

I followed the directions exactly but still no luck. I even reformatted and reinstalled windows xp on both systems before starting. Could the problem be in my Linksys router? NAT is currently disabled, and I don't know of anything else that might interfere with ICS.

How is your router in play here?

Are you connected via 56k by one computer (PC1) then have it plugged into a router along with PC2?

I am confused.

How about trying to give the IP adderss of the first computer as a gateway of second computer. and leave the first one as it is. I did this one time it happens but without router

I already tried that as well. Now I'm thinking the problem really is with the router. I would prefer to keep the router in place if possible. Any help on how I should set up the router?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom