Seeking Advice & Guidance (Networking)

echoesofeleven

Beta member
Good Morning!

My name is Marc. I'm currently attending Strayer University in VA. I'm a IT major that's concentrating on Networking. I'm about twelve classes away from finally graduating. As joyful as that sounds I'm quite worried for my future. I'm worried about the social stigma that non-profit colleges have thus being passed up for jobs. Also I don't have much experience in the IT field.

So before I graduate I want to achieve at least 2 certifications. I'm thinking about getting a CCNA certification. I already started my research with that. I found couple great tutorial videos and thankfully this site as well. I have been networking with my classmates. And I realized I would like to become a Network Engineer

I have some questions about getting certifications:

- What certification should I get first? does it matter if I get A+ first or Network+
- What other certifications is best suited for networking? I.E Red Hat, Solaris,Cloud computing, etc?
- CompTIA & Cisco certifications, which is better suited?
- If anyone lives in Northern Virginia or Richmond. Where's the best place to get hands on training?

Hi,
If you really have to go to networking, CCNA is a great start.
You may want to do MCSA as well, quite easy and it could help you with landing a job.
Linux is good to know, but I think the future is with Cloud computing.
Do that and you will be fine.

A+ and Net+ are standard for trying to get into an entry level IT position. If you are going straight into networking then they won't do anything for you; in that case you'd want a CCNA or at least a CCENT. Of course, the question is whether or not you can find a networking gig right off the bat.

In networking, the certs will mostly be vendor specific. Cisco is always useful because they have such a huge market share; almost any large company will have at least some Cisco devices. After that it would just depend on what the employer is using. I know that Juniper and HP have certs for their gear; I'm not sure what else is out there.

Microsoft and Linux certs are always nice to have, but those are more for server guys.

If you are aiming for networking, get your Net+ then go straight for your CCNA. CCNA is hard, but worth the effort.

Back
Top Bottom