Network+ & A+ Certification Questions

Speaking of school, I notice that your location says Houston (I'm assuming Houston, TX) and I just wanted to mention that the faculty at HCCS helped me get my start. I don't know if they are still there, but one instructor passed along job opportunities to students and another one (who also teaches at UH) can get an interview for any student who passes three or four specific classes.

Anyway, aside from that, I agree with everything that Lex said. I'd also like to add that a degree always helps, preferably a Bachelor's. It's not absolutely necessary, but having one is always better than not having one.

I'm working towards getting into security, myself. There's so much to learn that it's almost overwhelming.

Volunteer work, internships, and work study are all great ways to get some experience under your belt while you're still going to school.

In Houston there's Comp-U-Dopt.org - it's a volunteer organization that provides refurbished computers to kids. A lot of students in the area volunteer there to put some experience on their resumes. My program at HCC required work hours and a lot of the students went there to fulfill that requirement.

There's also computer retail at places like Fry's, Microcenter, etc. It's less hands on and retail sucks, but customer service experience is invaluable in the industry.

OK, OK, I see! Awesome! I'll look into that! :)

And I have heard of all those places, should I apply to them even know my computer intellect isn't really as keen as it probably should be? :annoyed:

This. If you can put that you have good customer service skills on your resume, places will have a higher. You can learn technician skills easily - most of it is picked up on the job anyway. Its harder to "learn" customer service skills, though IMO.

Hey I completely agree! It's really awesome because "people skills" are something that are naturally acquired to me. Not to mention by the time I'm scouting out a job, I will have about 2 years of CFA experience on my shoulders so maybe that would help. And if anyone hasn't been to Chick-Fil-A and experienced their AWESOME, award-winning customer service, then you should! :)

This. If you can put that you have good customer service skills on your resume, places will have a higher. You can learn technician skills easily - most of it is picked up on the job anyway. Its harder to "learn" customer service skills, though IMO.

Yeah, the only way to learn to deal with irate customers with unreasonable expectations is to experience it. If you can keep a smile on your face while dealing with those people then you can handle users. Well, usually.

OK, OK, I see! Awesome! I'll look into that! :)

And I have heard of all those places, should I apply to them even know my computer intellect isn't really as keen as it probably should be? :annoyed:

You don't need to be an expert (or even anywhere close) to do any of those jobs. You'll be fine.

Last edited:
Yeah, the only way to learn to deal with irate customers with unreasonable expectations is to experience it. If you can keep a smile on your face while dealing with those people then you can handle users. Well, usually.

You don't need to be an expert (or even anywhere close) to do any of those jobs. You'll be fine.

Are you sure?! Alright...I guess I'll give it a shot.

Volunteer work, internships, and work study are all great ways to get some experience under your belt while you're still going to school.

In Houston there's Comp-U-Dopt.org - it's a volunteer organization that provides refurbished computers to kids. A lot of students in the area volunteer there to put some experience on their resumes. My program at HCC required work hours and a lot of the students went there to fulfill that requirement.

There's also computer retail at places like Fry's, Microcenter, etc. It's less hands on and retail sucks, but customer service experience is invaluable in the industry.

So I checked up on that Comp-U-Dopt website! It's actually really cool! I emailed the center and got a response rather fast. I then submitted an internship application.

My next question is, if and when I do get this internship, how many hours should I do so that I can put it on my resume?

Well, if you're doing Comp-U-Dopt then that would be volunteer work, which is different from an internship. In any case, you would list a time period on your resume instead of a number of hours - for example, "Compu-U-Dopt, April 2014 to present." In terms of your resume, the hours per week wouldn't matter as much as the length of time you stay with the position.

I think Comp-U-Dopt is pretty flexible with hours, so it would depend on how many you want to do. The more time you spend means more hands on experience, but you also don't want to be working 40 hours a week without getting paid for it, so try to find a balance that works for you.

Back
Top Bottom