School Internet Blockages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bypassing Proxy Filters

The school I go to also blocks websites. They are not very strict but the filter is very hard to get around. I found a way that is nearly always fool proof but can be blocked if the admin finds out exactly how you did it, so don't do it when someone is watching.

To do this you will need the following.

1) Mozilla Firefox, either installed on a computer or just sitting on a USB drive (Install FF on your computer and copy the install directory onto your USB key)

2) PuTTY, The SSH client program

3) An SSH login account on a computer outside the school.
--------------------------------------------

Heres what you do.
1) You change firefox's proxy settings to:
host: localhost
port: 2000

2) You open PuTTY. Enter the address of the server under host. make sure that the Protocol is set to SSH and the port is set to 22

3) In the right-hand pane click Connection and then SSH and then Tunnels

4) Under add new forwarded port type in the following:
Source port: 2000
Destination: someproxyserver:pORT, the proxy information can be found by searching for free proxies in Google.

Just click open

A window will open asking for a login. Type in your username and passwd.

While this connection is open, website requests from firefox are automaticly redirected through the SSH connection and forwarded to the proxy, bypassing any blocker on the computers.

This is what I do to bypass the filters, the good thing is that you just browse the net like normal.

Shumway said:
School's block you for a reason,You are supposed to be learning not surfing.

what the hell? SINCE WHEN? why didn't any one tell me!?!?!

umm you can disable the lock with a password, try hitting control + shift + esc at the desktop. if its the same program they tried here that'll work... then you just type in a password (hint make sure to lock back the stuff so the teacher doesn't notice)

PS
and no i will not tell you how to get the password

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom