Running a VM as a User Account

kcrasch

Baseband Member
How can I run a VM as my son's User Account. I'd like to first set his User Account to it's own partition and then create it to where when he logs in he logs into a VM.

Or something to this nature. My goal is to limit his impact on the PC. If he accidentally downloads a virus I can wipe the VM and reload. Boom. All good. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Smart strategy. But as far as logging into the physically computer to auto open the VM. I'm not sure about. You could potentially set his user to not be able to access anything but the VM client.

Also on a side note, you could also just let him use the basic computer but don't allow downloads or the ability to run certain files types. Common malicious files types are: scr, exe, bat, com, pif

Last edited:
I've thought of this as well. Only problem is that my kid will inevitably break it if he can. The VM is perfect for him to ruin.

Depends on what OS you are using - realize he has to be able to access the VM AND you have to realize that if he's accessing it on your desktop he can just as easily minimize the VM and do something on the desktop.

If you have Windows 7 you can make him a standard account with ZERO access to download, run or install anything. Put an RDP session on his desktop that will then access the VM running under your user account.

Alternatively if you have extra hardware sitting around you follow the same procedure but have the RDP session on that other desktop / laptop.

Realize a VM won't be a beefy as most desktops / laptops - it will do find for day to day workloads but if he's wanting to play games or do something graphic intense a VM might not be a good alternative.

Back
Top Bottom