Router question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

In Runtime
How do I tell if my router is a NAT router? I have a linksys rtp300. Can someone please tell me if it is?

thx

edit: nevermind

NAT is typically used to allow multiple computers connect to the internet using the same ip address. Typically, you will have a public ip address set by your ISP's DHCP. Your router will be configured to automatically assign an address for the WAN port. The router will also host its own DHCP server. There should be settings for the router's ip and the ip range it will assign to other computers. Typically, 192.168.0.x

Office Politics,

Gee Wally would have to buy a router capable of NAT wouldn't he ? I believe this to be true. Or is it more complicated than that. I mean, I know that the Internet side of the router is going to see what the NAT puts out there for IP addresses, but within the inside of the gateway or router, the addresses can be tailored to meet the needs of the internal network.

To clarify what I am saying, is there something additional that needs to be done in order to use NAT, like configurations with the ISP, or is it as simple as just buying a router with NAT ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom