Router password problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssj4_trunx

Beta member
My dad has lost his router password and since I am home for the summer working, I would like to log into his network and go online. He has a Linksys router/modem I think. If anyone has a good idea, I am open to it.

Try the default password for Linksys routers. I believe that it's admin or admin123.

If your father changed the password, and you know what settings are changed, you can always reset the router back to factory defaults by pushing the button on the back of the router. Then, use the default password to log into the router. Start having fun.

reset will be simple

admin for username
admin for password

hope this work

Get it?

Most routers have a small reset button that you can push to completely reset everything (to include the password)...

Just remember to resetup the ip forwarding, DHCP, and whatever else your router was doing for you... I beat myself over the head one time after realizing that my website was down for a week all because someone in my office reset the router (we never changed the pw) and it wasn't looking at my server for requests on port 80 :eek:

Squirrelly1

Thanks for telling me how to reset the router, its been a help.
Unfortunately it won't take my new passwords for the WEP 128-bit passphrase. I enter it there, reconnect to the network and use the new password, and either it says its not

"40 - 104 bits long, or 5 - 13 ascii characters long, or 10 - 20 hexidecimals long"

or when I use say something that is 5 ascii long aka "rambo" it doesn't connect. Any suggestions? My father really wants this on it, due to the fact that he has a small business running out of his office. Hopefully he doesn't realize its not on for a few days, til i get a reply to this post. Thanks again guys, and I hope someone can help me with this new problem.

In all honesty, I don't know much about setting up WEP. I don't use it, because it's not secure. I would suggest that you do a MAC address filter. I'll have to let one of the other guys that has a Linksys box to look at tell you how to set it up. I haven't done it in quite a while, and I'm not at home right now to look it up.

I would also suggest that you change the default SSID to something else. Anything else. And turn off the option to broadcast the SSID.

Doing those things will make your network more secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom