Router not detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmdlol

Beta member
I have a NETGEAR router that is working. I'm connected to the internet through it right now, on my laptop. I brought my PC from home to my apartment the other day and just set it up today. The Linksys USB network adapter I'm using for it won't detect my NETGEAR router. It detects networks all around my apartment complex, but not the NETGEAR.

Any ideas?

What is your range from the laptop to the router? It might not detect it because of the router being too far away.

Both computers are the same range, that's not the problem. And I'm not sure if I have SSID broadcast enabled, can you explain?

Both computers are the same range, that's not the problem. And I'm not sure if I have SSID broadcast enabled, can you explain?

The SSID is explained below.
SSID (service set identifier) is a function performed by an Access Point that transmits its name so that wireless stations searching for a network connection can 'discover' it.

Source

To check if it's enabled, access your router settings and look under Advanced Wireless settings to see if it's checked.

How to Access Netgear Wireless Router Settings | eHow.com

WNR834B Manual: Viewing the Basic Wireless Settings (This may be for another router but suppose to be similar settings)

Well, I assume that since every other computer we have detects it, then it is enabled. Perhaps I should just purchase a new wireless adapter?

All computers are connected wireless? If yes then I guess it's your adapter. If the computers are connected via a cable (which I would assume) then the SSID does not come into play as it's for wireless networks.

Both are wireless, the cable is direct for the Xbox. My roommates all connect to the router through wireless. I'll pick up a new network adapter. Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom