Router Issue when switching computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kloppstock

Baseband Member
I have setted a static IP to my Router (Thompson Speedtouch 780 WL) on this computer to be able to portforward my applications..and works fine

the problem is it doesnt work as soon as i try the router on my other computer, the portforward stopps working even thou the settings are exactley the same, this leave me the conclusion..something is wrong with my static IP :freak:
could thath be cause the IP shall not be identic on both computers?

when i check in command.com/ipconfig /all

the IP, Netmask & Gateway, all info are becoming exactley the same when i follow this guide
PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall

Lets say my computer generate 192.168.1.64
(i have no idea why it allways choose the same numbers)
i have tested to change to 65 as end-number on the second computer..but still the portforward fails after

any ideas what to do?

This one doesnt make much sense either.

For one, your computer doesnt generate the ip address, its given to the computer from a dhcp server, in your case, your router i would assume. When you get an address from a dhcp server, it creates a host record in the database, tied to a lease time, which can be set to anything, but i believe most residential routers are 8 days?

If you've setup port forwarding on an ip address base, it should work if your on the same subnet, and right gateway.

This one doesnt make much sense either.

For one, your computer doesnt generate the ip address, its given to the computer from a dhcp server, in your case, your router i would assume. When you get an address from a dhcp server, it creates a host record in the database, tied to a lease time, which can be set to anything, but i believe most residential routers are 8 days?

If you've setup port forwarding on an ip address base, it should work if your on the same subnet, and right gateway.

So its normal thath the dhcp server will give the same "IP" on both computers allso?

The thing i will do offcorse if it still refuse to work, is buying a modem instead of a router

Hm..wery interesting, i tested to use another IP on the other computer and it worked yesterday, but now it have stopped again just cause i switched back computer afterwards, i re-portforwarded just as when it worked, so it seems thath the problem is thath it doesnt understand thath the IP is changed even thou it should,

i must re-port forward every time i have switched computer..cause the previous rules dissapear by auto

something there screws things up, even thou i know the portforward are 100 % identic as it where, its really unlogical, any ideas?

And ur portfording would only be for that pc

No, its the same application im trying to portforward on both computers, the only thing im changing is my static IP adress in the applications rules

it allways work on this computer without issues for some reason

Well I can't understand much of what was said here but you can't forward the same port to 2 different computers. If you can set the application's port to be something else and then port forward it to the computer, then we're in business.

If you're talking about a computer entirely not working on the router, probably because your IP address is the same as another device (or computer), OR you are not on the same network:

For Class C (standard for local area networks), you can set from say, 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254

NETWORK PORTION: 192.168.1 - 192.168.1
HOST PORTION: .1 - .254

Also for example, say you have 2 IP addresses inside your local area network.

PORT: 30
|
|¯|---------- _________
¯ | | |
| | | |
192.168.1.2 |-----?-----| ROUTER |
192.168.1.3 | | |
| | |_________|
|¯|-----------
¯
|
PORT: 30

Well that little ASCII image didn't work out for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom