Router Connection Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
AT&T finally got the upgrades in place, so I got to go from 1.5M to 3.0M. As usual, any time AT&T does ANYTHING to my connection it goes down. I spent two hours on the phone with them getting my connection back up.

Now, I can connect through the modem directly, but not through my WRT54G. And, no, I am not using wireless. My wife's computer, and my mother-in-law's, both connect just fine through the router, but mine won't. I can access the router's setup page and I can piung it, but I can't go any further.

I spent an hour waiting for Linksys' tech support to pick up, then I spent an hour doing the same things I had been doing already. Still no dice. When I told him that the other computers had connection but mine didn't, Mufassa hung up.

My control panel shows my ethernet controller is having no problems. I connect fine through the modem. Both of the other computers connect fine through the router. And I am out of ideas.

Oh, and one other thing... when I go to the command prompt to release/renew my IP, I get a message that says:
Windows IP Configuration

The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation.
That's a new one on me, and I have never had anything like that before.

OK, problem fixed. My daughter called, I told her about, she put her boyfriend on, and he diagnosed it in thirty seconds. Seems my network connection was still set up for a static IP. Once I changed that and renewed my IP, I am up and running.

Now I've got to go back through and bridge my modem, set up my static IP (again), and forward my ports.

Well glad you got it sorted. Have fun bridging your modem and all that again.

tfr612ix4.gif

Cheers,
Mak

It is scary that the Linksys tech support people did not check that pretty quickly in their checklist. This is a very common reason for router connection problems, in my experience.

sometimes you really wonder how those people became "tech support" in the first place huh?
notice any difference yet? 1.5M to 3M is a pretty big jump :D

They became tech support because they are the cheapest labor the company could afford and are able to read a checklist of "problems".

Yeah... he kept telling me "do this while I check my sources." Translation... "Do this while I try to read what the next thing will be."

Dude didn't listen for squat. I told him up front what all I had already done, but we had to go through it anyway.

I will say, both times i've had issues with my comcast connection the support was excellent. Go figure.

Oh, I love my router, but it has been hit and miss with the yahoo on the other end of the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom