Router bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

COD2_fanatic

Daemon Poster
I currently have all the computers in the house on a network because i have DSL. My router (a D-Link DI-524) will stop working everynow and then (and i mean stop literally), this usually only happens when the network activity slows down during the night because no one is on the computers (i leave mine downloading).

My question is, could it be faulty or dieing one me? I've onyl had it for a couple of months and dont think it is under warrenty.

My other question is that i have another router that i just got (a Linksys 2.4 GHz wireless Router (model # WRT54G) ), this one will not interact with my DSL modem. the computers can interact with each other on the network but internet is cut off, is it bad or am i doing something wrong?

When you say the Linksys won't interact with your modem, did you connect a PC to it, and configure the DSL username / password correctly in the router? Unless the WAN port on the router is bad, this would be about the only other thing that would keep it from connecting.

As for you D-Link, can you describe the physical location the router is in? Is it cluttered, stuff all around it, or on top of it? It could be that it is overheating, and stops responding. My parents have a Linksys wireless router sitting flat, and the DSL modem flat on top of it... the combined heat from the two was causing the Linksys to overheat and stop responding.... Moving the DSL modem solved the problem.

reqarding the password, i thought only the modem needed that since it is the one connecting to the servers, sry if i'm wrong.

The D-link on sits on the floor down in the basement with relevtively nothing around it, and i have noticed it getting wuite warm sometimes, i did have a guess that it was overheating

I suppose it could be possible that your modem may have the login info, but I know that the DSL account I had at my old apartment, and the account my parents have, as well as the cable internet I have at my current apartment, all had to have the account username & password entered into the router. I know that in some cases they will give you a modem/router, and that could be what you have.

If you log into the router, there should be a WAN tab or page, and somewhere on there would be a place to enter username, password, and also the way in which it connects.... Cable usually uses DHCP, and DSL usually is PPPoE I believe.

hmm, i'll have to look at that on the Linksys but the other one didnt require it, and no my modem isnt a combination

Hrm, that is interesting... Do you have a client on your PC that you use to 'connect' to the DSL account?

how akward, i plugged the new router into the Ethernet cord that runs to my room and it started working, so now i have a wireless access point on top of my computer as well as a new hub

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom