Router assigns duplicate IP addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Baseband Member
Please can anyone answer this:- I have a Belkin wireless router which is set to 'dynamic IP', that if i'm right in thinking, assigns IP addresses to the clients automatically, and these are not fixed. I have 3 clients connected, a wired PC (PC1), and two wireless notebooks (PC2 and PC3). What is happening is this, I can boot all 3 clients up in no particular order, and the router appears to be assigning the same IP address to two of the clients, usually PC1 (Wired) and PC3 (Wireless) which causes a conflict. How can i get round this? I'm not sure if I can use fixed IP addresses with my ISP, Ntlworld.
Thanks Fishy

Try resetting it and if that doesnt work, flash the firmware.

The DHCP server is having some serious issues I guess...

Thankyou for replying m8, during the initial installation of the router, i updated the firmware. Is that what u mean by 'flashing'. I'm a bit of a noob, sorry

Yeah that's what I mean by flashing, I would do it again even if you have the newest version.

UPDATE- I've tried re-installing the updated firmware, no luck though the problem still persists. The router operates 100% ok in every other respect, so i'm inclined to think it must be my settings:(

Have you checked all settings on the router and pc's?

Make sure there isn't a static DHCP setting in the router for either of the conflicting pc's.

Make sure both PC's are set to dynamically obtain their IP.

In the TCP/IP properties it is set to 'obtain an IP address automatically' and the router is set to 'dynamic'. The IP's i'm sure are being assigned auto, but there is one more thing which may be causing this prob, and that is this - On the router utility programme there is a DHCP client list showing all the connected PCs, however the win98 laptop is not shown on the list, even though its connected and its internet connection is working fine? So if the router doesn't see it in this list can it be assigning a duplicate IP? Thanks for your input chaps
Fishy

That could be it, sounds a bit far-fetched, but you never know.

I'd try two different things... Check out the win98 pc to make sure it's set to use DHCP. If it is, go into your router and add the win98 PC's mac address and assign it a static DHCP lease (hopefully your router has this feature).

Or you could also set up the Win98 pc to obtain a static IP from the router, make it something high like 192.168.0.211. Somewhere between 200 and 253.

(Replace the 192.168.0 with whatever your router subnet is set up for.)

The router being set to 'dynamic' is probably for the connection to your ISP and shouldn't affect your LAN.

Have you tried typing "ipconfig" into the commandline on the Win98 machine? If it's connected to the internet but the DHCP details don't show in your router utility this will show you the IP configuration it is using.

EDIT: I don't think the router could possibly be assigning duplicate addresses whilst still allowing each computer to access the internet...
and.....
I hate to say this but if you're flashing firmware to a router using a web interface I'd recommend using internet explorer to do it rather than any other browser as using other browsers may cause problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom