Resturant Pro express network help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Computerfreak14

In Runtime
Hey everyone, im in the process of setting up restaurant pro express at local ice cream shop. I have both computers right next to each other and i need to connect them, I have a linksys router. There is no internet,so i just need the router to connect the pc's. The one is a sever. Im not sure since i have no internet , how would i go about makin the router be able to connect both pc's. I have setup numerous routers and computers to the internet but i never did this before. Is there anything i need to change in the router or in windows xp pro?

Thanks steve

Since you are using a router all you need to do is set them to obtain ip automatically and make sure they are in the same workgroup.

Since it is a server setup it might be nice to have a static ip. The default ip for the router is 192.168.1.1. You could set up the server as something like 192.168.1.10 subnet 255.255.255.0 and the client as 192.168.1.15 same subnet.

Either way will work.

Option A: DHCP

Open local area connection for your lan card (control panel / network connections)
Internet Protocal (tcp/ip) / properties
Set each computer to "Obtain and IP address automatically"

Options B: Static IP
In the same place
Set Server
ip address 192.168.1.10
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway 192.168.1.1

Set other computer
p address 192.168.1.15
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway 192.168.1.1

Place both computers in the same workgroup (example: restaurant). control panel / system / computer name tab. You can change the workgroup by clicking the change button.
These are assuming your linksys is using the default ip of 192.168.1.1. There should be no need to change any settings on the router

awesome thanks ill try it tommarow; also i just watched a video on how to make a crossover cable with a regular straight cable, is that easier? thanks

If you already have a router I would just do that especially if you plan to connect more computers and or a network printer at a later point in time. If you used the crossover cable then you would need to use option B without the default gateway entry.

well im most positive, hes only using the two computers. The thing is last night i was trying to see if both computers can see each other, well the server one with resturant pro express can see the client computers files in "my network places" but the on the client one, it dosent list the server computer in its "my net work places" hmm I did set up a network using the option in windows but for some reason it dosent see the server pc.

long story short:
Server pc sees the client - thats good
Client pc dosent see the server - not good lol
thanks again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom