Resolve ip by username

Status
Not open for further replies.

scj6771

Baseband Member
I believe this is an easy one for you all, is there a way to plug in a username to find the ip address on the network, we are running DNS and I would like to find the ip address's easily if I don't have the users computer name or don't want to spend 15 minutes trying to explain to a user how to use ipconfig, can't this be done using NSLOOKUP?? Thanks. Btw I am running XP on a 2000 Server domain.

? i'm confused. if you have the username, and toss it into nslookup you should obtain what you are looking for. since you are on the network server as you stated, you already have all the info you need...

yeah, I'm confused aswell.....
you could use net view at the dos prompt
then choose the user you want and ping the users computer using the name you found using net view

I am looking for an IP... I use the IP to get into the machines remotly.... If I wanna get into joe smoes desktop I need his IP address. I would like to find that address quickly using his username "joe smoe".

Net View only gives me computer names..... that does me no good if I have no idea what computer he has.

that still makes no sense. you are on the network so that means you have the server name. you have the user name. in nslookup all you need is that info to pull an ip address.

you could change the namming convention you are using on your network.
We use city and username.
ie: LAXjsmith
This works great but relies on the fact the people do not share computers.

i would definatly suggest a naming convention as well. this is really help you out in the future. but i wouldn't suggest using personal names in computer names! lol.....you are just asking for one big mess.
then, just keep a list of ip addresses linked to computer names or use nslookup OR you can use 'tracert and the computer name'. but since none of these things really help you out immediately... ;)
try LAN scanner from Famatech. (Same people who create radmin). It's free....it basically scans your entire network for node names, ip addresses, shares on that node, what domain (if any) that the node is logged into, the username logged in, which network adapter they are using, open ports, closed ports, etc. because you are after the actual username logged in THEN finding out the IP and node name off of the user info right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom