reformatting win xp home sp2

Status
Not open for further replies.

butterflywrenn

Solid State Member
I have a virus on another computer. Plus was having other problems and just want to reformat and reinstall win xp. I have reformatted a computer once before, with win98 SE, and it was a lot easier then this. Maybe I had beginners luck.

Anyway, when I try to load winXP from the disc and I get to the first screen I have 4 choices.
1. install win xp
2. install optional windows components
3. perform additional tasks
4. check system compatability

I chose #1 install win xp.

then I get an error message that says:

"setup cannot continue because the version of windows on your computer is newer then the version on the CD."

"warning: if you decide to delete the newer version of windows that is currently installed on your computer the files and settings cannot be recovered."

Now, it does not give me the option to continue (it does, but its greyed out and I cant click on it) the only choices I have are "cancel" or "details".
When I click on details-nothing happens. So all I can do is click "cancel". Therefore I can not go any further.

why is this happening. Does it have something to do with service pack 2?
how do I reformat and reinstall at this point?

My system info is:
XP-home edition
version 2002
SP2

P.S. please take into consideraion that I am a computer dummy and don't get too technical on me..............thanks,

butterflywrenn

Youhave to boot off of the disc. That means put the disc in the tray, restart your computer, and let it boot off of the XP cd.

it is an original computer, bought from Gateway in 2002. I do have the original winXP disc that came with it. Thats what I am using to reboot from, but it is not working.

thanks,

YES I put the original winXP disc, that came with the computer, in the tray, and restart and choose boot from the CD. I have also tried this with another winxp disc and the same thing happens.

thanks,

Well how about the perform additional tasks option? It sounds as if its trying to install windows over the one already installed which it obviously won't allow. You need to find the option to format the hard drive first and then install windows

Hello,

Despite saying you have, seems to me that you are not booting off the disc.

Is this the screen you are seeing?...

02clickinstallwindowsxpbz1.jpg

...If it is, then you are not booting off the disc. You're booting into Windows XP on your hard drive and running the setup program on the disc.

If you've correctly booted off the disc, you should be seeing this:

consolewindowssetuped3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom