Recommendation on what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

Daemon Poster
I have a new Dell laptop that I really do want to switch to Windows 7. I am not switching because I don't like Vista because I really do. I am switching because it is a 64 bit vista on the laptop and the very important program I have to run using this laptop will not run on 64bit OS.
My question to you would be W7 home premium or professional. All my OSs have been pro because I like the remote features that pro offers as compared to the others. I do a lot of remote desktop and like the feature.
So, what do you all recommend? Let's hear it guys. Thanks.

So why cant you just run a Virtual Machine with a 32 Bit OS within your 64 Bit? I have several programs that are from the early days of PC's and all i do is load them up on a VM within Win7 64 bit. Why buy a 32 Bit OS and limit yourself and your machine due to program compatibility? That is like getting a Ferrari but putting in a Smart Car engine.

The problem is actually a usb device called an MSC-400 by URC. Are you familiar with it? It won't work with any 64bit OS. I need to check to see if that would be an option.
I do have another question about where to get it. Should I get it from Dell where I bought it and get an upgrade or a full version from them.
Or should I buy it from newegg or whoever and get and upgrade or an oem?

I am not familiar with that program. But i would see if using a Virtual Machine is at all possible. XP Mode within Win7 would be a great option. The main factor in the decision should be the specs of the laptop.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/difference-between-32-bit-x86-64-bit-x64-171390/#post1349279

That topic will be a good read to understand why i say that. If you have 4GB of RAM then you are giving up almost a full GB by going with 32 bit. If you do not have 4GB of RAM then going 32 Bit is not that big of a deal. But if you ever plan to upgrade the amount of RAM 32 Bit will limit you on what you can do.

As for the other question, i would buy an upgrade from NewEgg. Dell will charge you more and you dont need their disk to do the upgrade. Since you already have Visat you can do an inplace upgrade and keep all your current programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom