question about routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cimmerian Shade

Solid State Member
The story is like this, my friend moved out and we bought a cheap router so we both could play 360. He let me keep it when it moved out, speedtest.net did the average 20mbps download 10 upload and 10 latency.

Which was great, then his brother came moved in and he brought his own computer and now, this same computer gets about 3 download not even 1 upload and about 500ms of latency. So I turned off his torrenting and it went down a little but still unplayable, about 500 latency. So I did a speedtest on his computer and HE gets the 20 download 10 upload 10 latency....wtf? Does anyone know why this is ask a few people and they think it might have something to do with him probably going in and changing settings.

Now I went into the router setting and someone told me there is uploadand download setting that could be made to limit him from being the whole "first come first serve" type of deal. Yet I couldn't find it when I went in, it's a very cheap router TRENDnet TW100-S4W1CA/AS,

Buddy of mine told me I should just upgrade to a gaming router for my 360 since it will give me priorities over his computer but I feel if I do this it could very well happen again considering we live about 30 miles from chicago and his latency is 10 and another computer about 5 feet away is nearly 600.

Any background info about this would make me very happy.

Definition: A broadband router combines the features of a traditional network switch, a firewall, and a DHCP server. Broadband routers are designed for convenience in setting up home networks, particularly for homes with high-speed cable modem or DSL Internet service. A broadband router supports file sharing, Internet connection sharing, and home LAN gaming. Source:
Maybe someone else out there can verify if this $35 router will work for you, I'm not 100% sure.

Someone told me to Switch the "connection" between this computer and the other one and they gave me a link to TRENDnet Downloads.

But I'm seriously tech retarded, and I see data sheets, so I don't really understand how to switch the connection with data sheets. Also the computer that has a high latency is really really really old, could this have some effect on the latency too? Also would that $35 router fix this problem if nothing else would?

Definition: A broadband router combines the features of a traditional network switch, a firewall, and a DHCP server. Broadband routers are designed for convenience in setting up home networks, particularly for homes with high-speed cable modem or DSL Internet service. A broadband router supports file sharing, Internet connection sharing, and home LAN gaming. Source:
Maybe someone else out there can verify if this $35 router will work for you, I'm not 100% sure.

When they said "switch connection" did they mean physically unplug and try different ethernet ports on the back of the router? Have you tried to unplug his connection and plug into his port on the back of the router and check your speed? I'm not well versed in torrents, but I know some can control the internet speed of others on a network. If thats the case, I don't believe a new router would make any difference. About a year back a couple of us had our internet connection go from 10,000k down to 200k. Another friend of mine said someone probably got in through the game and used a torrent to turn our speeds down. My friend said I can reverse the torrent but it was too late, I already formatted :madd: I have a d-link wireless gameing router and here is a screen shot of my updated firmware and game fuel options.
MWSnap01011-08-09.jpg

MWSnap01111-08-09.jpg

Have you gone into your routers software and looked around? I have an update firmware option. I'll snap a pic and post.

I'm not sure if this actually works, but I see no difference whether my wife's on or not and we both get these speeds.

MWSnap01211-08-09.jpg

rofl, I take that back, looks like I need to update firmware myself. We must have had a power outage that I didn't know about.:p jj

Yes, that was one of the first things I tried was putting his Ethernet cable in difference slots, nothing really seemed to happen when I did this tho. The reason why I asked about a new router is, gaming routers give priorities to the game console or something like that over anything else. Plus someone told me to limit the upload and download kbs through the router settings but this cheap router either doesn't have settings that allow me to do this, or I'm really really blind and can't find it.

RTS Threshold
This setting should remain at its default value of 2346. If you encounter inconsistent data flow, only minor modifications to the value are recommended.

Fragmentation Threshold
This setting should remain at its default value of 2346. Setting the Fragmentation value too low may result in poor performance.

DTIM Interval
A DTIM is a countdown informing clients of the next window for listening to broadcast and multicast messages. When the wireless router has buffered broadcast or multicast messages for associated clients, it sends the next DTIM with a DTIM Interval value. Wireless clients detect the beacons and awaken to receive the broadcast and multicast messages. The default value is 1. Valid settings are between 1 and 255.

I don't have the ability with my firmware to controll up and down speeds either.

upload limiting
Measured Uplink Speed
This is the uplink speed measured when the WAN interface was last re-established. The value may be lower than that reported by your ISP as it does not include all of the network protocol overheads associated with your ISP's network. Typically, this figure will be between 87% and 91% of the stated uplink speed for xDSL connections and around 5 kbps lower for cable network connections.
Manual Uplink Speed
If Automatic Uplink Speed is disabled, this options allows you to set the uplink speed manually. Uplink speed is the speed at which data can be transferred from the router to your ISP. This is determined by your ISP. ISPs often specify speed as a downlink/uplink pair; for example, 1.5Mbps/284kbps. For this example, you would enter "284". Alternatively you can test your uplink speed with a service such as DSL · Cable · VOIP · Security · Satellite · Fiber · News · Tips · Reviews · Community · Tools - dslreports.com. Note however that sites such as DSL Reports, because they do not consider as many network protocol overheads, will generally note speeds slightly lower than the Measured Uplink Speed or the ISP rated speed.
So I guess I was wrong in my above statement, I can controll the uplink speed but mine's set to auto-detect to get the best for both of us.

Earlier when you said you "turned down his torrenting" can you also turn up your speed using his torrent?

FYI there are torrent discussion rules also, I don't believe you can post your specific torrent
Computer Forums - Announcements in Forum : Rules, News and Announcements

Also, go ahead and use your router's update firmware capability and make sure you have the latest. Have you tried messing with your MTU settings? or click on any "speed up my pc" links? They could have goofed up your settings.

Another way is to take your box (pc) to another location and test it at a friends against theirs and see if your still getting slow internet speeds. If > then probably MTU

I was thinking about this today but why would a low lanency connection effect my xbox 360? If this computer and my 360 are lagging and his isn't could it be, that the ethernet cables might be weak? This just hit me today lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom