question about re-installing Windows on new hard drive

Santuzzo

Daemon Poster
Hi,

I just got a SSD for my PC as well as a new data hard-drive, so it's time to re-install wIndows (it's Windows 7 in my case).
Currently I have Win7 and all my software installed on a HDD drive and I was wondering what's the best way to go about installing Windows onto the new SDD drive.
Here's my main concerns/questions:
1. I only have one Windows 7, so if I install it onto the new SDD drive, will there be a problem?

2. Can I keep Windows and all my software installed on my old HDD drive just to get back to it and see what I need to re-install? or is it somehow necessary to first remove Windows in order to install it on my new SDD? Is there a way this is registered online by Microsoft?

3. will it at all be possible at all to install my Windows 7 on a new drive? or is new hardware considered as a new PC, so I would technically have to buy a new Windows installation DVD?

Anyway, my plan was to just disconnect my current HDD drive without removing anything from it, so I can always reconnect it for reference to see what I need to install on my new SDD drive.
Does this make any sense?

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,
Lars

Last edited:
1. I only have one Windows 7, so if I install it onto the new SDD drive, will there be a problem?
Should be fine. May just have to call and reactivate over the phone if it's an OEM copy.

2. Can I keep Windows and all my software installed on my old HDD drive just to get back to it and see what I need to re-install? or is it somehow necessary to first remove Windows in order to install it on my new SDD? Is there a way this is registered online by Microsoft?
Formatting your previous drive first isn't necessary, no. Just make sure you unplug your HDD before attempting to install to your SSD.

3. will it at all be possible at all to install my Windows 7 on a new drive? or is new hardware considered as a new PC, so I would technically have to buy a new Windows installation DVD?
No - a new HDD isn't considered breaking the ToS with either OEM or Retail. If you had an OEm license, and bought a new motherboard/CPU...you'd technically need to purchase a new license. Retail licenses allow transfer rights, meaning you'd be able to install it on a new system after removing it off of the old system first.

Anyway, my plan was to just disconnect my current HDD drive without removing anything from it, so I can always reconnect it for reference to see what I need to install on my new SDD drive.
Does this make any sense?
That would be the best course of action.
Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,
Lars

Replies in bold.

Thank you very much!
To be honest, I am not even sure if it's an OEM or retail I got, but I did buy it separately (i.e. it did not come with the PC< since I built the PC myself and first I had XP on it).
Byt from what you are saying, in my case it won't really matter in terms of license anyway, since I am only changing the hard rive and not the motherboard.

Would it be OK to even have both drives hooked up as in a dual boot system? Or would that be breaking the licensing rules of Microsoft?

Thank you very much!
To be honest, I am not even sure if it's an OEM or retail I got, but I did buy it separately (i.e. it did not come with the PC< since I built the PC myself and first I had XP on it).
Byt from what you are saying, in my case it won't really matter in terms of license anyway, since I am only changing the hard rive and not the motherboard.

Would it be OK to even have both drives hooked up as in a dual boot system? Or would that be breaking the licensing rules of Microsoft?

Why would you need 2 copies of the same OS running?

But yes, that'd be against ToS since you're only supposed to have 1 active copy at a time.

If your current setup is in good working condition then you may want to consider cloning your current hdd to the new ssd. Cloning will keep all of your data and programs intact so you won't need to reinstall anything.

You can use free software like Macrium Reflect or Clonezilla to do the cloning.

Why would you need 2 copies of the same OS running?

But yes, that'd be against ToS since you're only supposed to have 1 active copy at a time.

Thanks. Yes, makes sense. I will then only use it to look through the folders in order to see what is installed and where it is installed. In that case I am not even using the OS as such. I just don't want to format the old drive until I know I got all the software I need installed on the new drive.

If your current setup is in good working condition then you may want to consider cloning your current hdd to the new ssd. Cloning will keep all of your data and programs intact so you won't need to reinstall anything.

You can use free software like Macrium Reflect or Clonezilla to do the cloning.

Thanks. I have Acronis True Image which I think also allows for cloning. But in my case I do need a fresh clean install as my current drive has a lot of software on it that I won't need anymore, and a lot of stuff has been installed and removed, so I guess the registry must be kinda cluttered.

A clean install is best but a lot more work. Shouldn't be too bad as long as you have the installers and license keys for all the software you will need to re-install.

I already got the SDD but still have not done the installing. I'm planning on doing it this weekend.
But I have one more question:
Since I have quite a lot of software I need to install after installing Windows, does it make a difference if I install all of the software in one go, or if I install it in stages as in installing some software every weekend?
Would there be any disadvantage in installing some software this weekend, and some one week later, some more another week later in terms of how clean the registry will be?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom