Potentially the longest thread in history...

I just realised that even if I won the lottery, I would barely upgrade my system. I'd get a new GPU, SSD, and probably a 4K monitor. And that's about it. That's how dead the market is.

Edit: Oh, and a new keyboard.

For me it would be more the quantity of PCs, the quality of the overall setup too.

My normal rig for day to day gaming would be similar to now, but Titan X P. I'm a lottery winner so I guess I try SLI Titan X P and see how useful and frustration free the 2nd card is. Then i'd have a really sleek and awesome custom PC case probably with some kind of phase change unit in the room opposite so there is nothing unsightly or loud noises. The case would probably be entirely custom. CNC'd out of one block of titanium if it proved possible. If not, as few peices of titanium as possible. My monitors would be reference grade 4K OLEDs too, on a sweet matching titanium arm system.

But then I would have another epic PC setup permanently inside a sim racing rig. I like racing games but I hate the agro of getting it all out and putting it all away. So this would be setup permanently.

Then of course i'd have a huge, padded room with high ceilings perfect for VR, which would also have a crazy spec PC in it :D

So yeah i'd probably have 4 or 5 top spec PCs around the house. That would be the difference. FWIW you say the market is stale, but SLI Titan X P with a new highly overclocked 10 core i7 would be very much significantly faster than my current rig, which most would say is already fairly high end.

For me it would be more the quantity of PCs, the quality of the overall setup too.

My normal rig for day to day gaming would be similar to now, but Titan X P. I'm a lottery winner so I guess I try SLI Titan X P and see how useful and frustration free the 2nd card is. Then i'd have a really sleek and awesome custom PC case probably with some kind of phase change unit in the room opposite so there is nothing unsightly or loud noises. The case would probably be entirely custom. CNC'd out of one block of titanium if it proved possible. If not, as few peices of titanium as possible. My monitors would be reference grade 4K OLEDs too, on a sweet matching titanium arm system.

But then I would have another epic PC setup permanently inside a sim racing rig. I like racing games but I hate the agro of getting it all out and putting it all away. So this would be setup permanently.

Then of course i'd have a huge, padded room with high ceilings perfect for VR, which would also have a crazy spec PC in it :D

So yeah i'd probably have 4 or 5 top spec PCs around the house. That would be the difference. FWIW you say the market is stale, but SLI Titan X P with a new highly overclocked 10 core i7 would be very much significantly faster than my current rig, which most would say is already fairly high end.
6950x is Broadwell-E though. If we're talking games you'd get better performance out of a Skylake chip because under phase the 6700k would overclock higher due to way less heat and voltage requirements.

I'd finish my PC room, finally complete my rigid loop, use the money to source the exact parts I want for my 98 box, make a VR setup with dedicated PC, upgrade roomies PC, then go ham on my car.

If I won the lottery I'd tell ****ing nobody :p and probably invest 90% of the money in a few low-risk options. Apart from that, quit my job and buy a lot of the parts I've wanted for ages to experiment with e.g. good 3d printer, CNC, massive bunch of various electronic parts, lasers, maybe some rocket-related things.

I'd invest a good portion, pay off my and my girlfriends' student loans, pay off my parents house, buy my sister and brother houses, and a new house for my girlfriend and I. And instead of a Model 3, a Model S :tongue:

If I hit it I would pay off all my debt, buy my MiL her own place (or give her mine and build a new house). I would go back to college and finish up my degree, as well as set up my retirement. As far as electronics go I would build me a nice system but nothing too outrageous, and then finally get to play around with lots of nice cellphones. I would sort of like to open up a cell shop that sells all kinds and not just the main brands, as well as handling repairs and such.

Well if we're talking MAJOR money (like $150m+), outside of my PCs and electronics I would setup a game dev studio. I wouldn't be bothered about huge crazy profits. Just ennough to break even so I can afford to keep running the place. I would probably pledge $50m towards my first game, i'd probably price it pretty well ($30 or something). I'd have to sell a little more than a million copies on PC to break even. I don't think that would be *too* hard. For a start, it'd be entirely independent so no BS publisher like EA telling me what to do. Secondly it wouldn't have some absurd timescale. It'd be a 3 year development time. My games would be polished as ****. Forth, there would never be a console port. My game is designed for PC and PC only. I take advantage of the fact that on the high end i'd have 16GB of RAM and 10TFLOPS of GPU power to play with.

So yeah that would be awesome. I'd love to oversee a games development company. One that releases left field games, but that i'd still hope were popular. For example all these 'Construction Simulator' games and that kind of thing, a lot of people actually try them out but they always suck. I actually think a AAA construction simulator game could be pretty dope.

In a dream world as a mega billionaire, i'd release $100m to $200m PC exclusives for $15 or $20 per title, free DLC every 3 months, and a free old school expansion pack with 10 to 20 hours gameplay every year for 3 years. My development process would be 100% open from day one with DAILY blog posts, videos, Q&As with fans etc.

Last edited:
I think i've contracted some major disease or something because I usually go for months between dropping a plate or something. But today I dropped my bowl of mac n cheese, then dropped a full glass of water on the floor, and now my vape just went flying across the table when I went to put it out.

o_O

Ahhh ****in' wow...CEO's wife bought an iPad Pro (wifi + cellular) and keyboard dock for her 96yo grandpa so he can play a puzzle game on it. Meanwhile a coworker who's been here for 9 years gets his first payraise in 2 years of a whopping 2.2k

Ahhh ****in' wow...CEO's wife bought an iPad Pro (wifi + cellular) and keyboard dock for her 96yo grandpa so he can play a puzzle game on it. Meanwhile a coworker who's been here for 9 years gets his first payraise in 2 years of a whopping 2.2k

eh, sucks. Similar for my mum. She works at a jewellers, the guy that owns it drives around in brand new Bentleys, bought a new home last year, and they just moved the jewellers from it's old location to a prime location in the cities best and busiest shopping mall. It's really nice, and huge for a high end jewellers (prices range from $1000 to $500,000 in there). Well my mum and a few others have worked there for 2 years with no payrise, and none of them can really afford it. The pay is **** anyway considering all the sales skills and product knowledge you need, they asked for a $3000 payrise each (just three of them) and were told by the owner that there is "no way he can afford it". Lol please. The markup on jewellery is AT LEAST 100%. If they sold one £20k watch, which they do all the time, the profit on that peace alone would pay for all the staff to have a few grand pay rise. It's just BS.

It makes me super pissed off. My mum sold two watches to a Chinese couple that came to about $100k. Cost price was about $30k for the company. So the company owner basically made $70k profit in a single sale, and yet he won't even pass a tiny tiny fraction of the companies profits onto staff pay rises.

Last edited:
I'm supposed to get a raise every 6 months until I hit their cap. I've worked here for 2 years now and nothing, and in fact my pay was dropped. My technical position here demands 65k but when I came in I was making 42k. In June I was dropped to 38k. I actually have another tab open applying for a night position somewhere else. So sick of being **** on really. I think a ton of people around the world are dealing with this but it's so taboo to talk about it people just deal with it. ****ing 2016 man.

Edit: Well, we've finally hit our stopgap for die shrinkage at least for a while. Intel is stuck at 14nm for at least the next 3 architectures. The mobile roadmap gives mainstream users some hope though, as Coffee Lake H series mobile chip is 6 core so that means mainstream desktop Canon Lake or Coffee Lake could be 6 core as well.

57a.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom