Potentially the longest thread in history...

Re: Today I have...

Today I took apart a dead HDD and took the magnets out. Was playin with those for about 20 minutes while talking to my cube-mates lol. Slow day.

That made me giggle. The 8 core Jag is like the power of my 4 core i5 750. There's just no comparison. Not to mention, the difference between the 7850ish GPUs in the consoles and the mammoth 680 I have sitting in front of me. IMO, just trying to turn the spotlight away from how fail the One has been so far with its announcement. Anybody not on a PC will buy this crap.

3sjgsd.jpg

That made me giggle. The 8 core Jag is like the power of my 4 core i5 750. There's just no comparison. Not to mention, the difference between the 7850ish GPUs in the consoles and the mammoth 680 I have sitting in front of me. IMO, just trying to turn the spotlight away from how fail the One has been so far with its announcement. Anybody not on a PC will buy this crap.

3sjgsd.jpg

Thing is, there are questions we can't answer.

Does 8 cores provide special opportunities for programmers that aren't present on 4 core set ups ? (Though I suspect not, I asked John Carmack and he said he would prefer 4 cores at 3.2Ghz than 8 Cores at 1.6Ghz)

8GB of unified memory means you could, technically, assign 1GB to game memory and then 6GB as VRAM and 1GB for the OS. Unlikely, but there is nothing stopping a developer do that. So there is potential for very linear, simplistic game worlds with extremely high texture quality and that sort of thing. It could be interesting, developers don't have that opportunity on PC yet. The "sensible max" for a PC dev to design a game around is 2GB VRAM usage @ 1080p. Only special cards have more than 2GB, so there is little point making a game that needs more than that at common res's such as 1080p - which is why you don't see any games doing it.

So while they are not as powerful as our PCs 95% of the time, they provide some interesting opportunities in theory. And to be fair, some console games still look good. Not relative, just flat out fairly good. Some of the PS3 exclusives like Uncharted look quite amazing considering what they are running on. Forza Horizon on Xbox 360, well no one is too sure how they managed to pull that one off . Kazunoi Yamauchi of Polyphony Digital said he tried to make an open world Gran Turismo on PS3 and it wasn't up to the task. And then the best looking forza ever comes out which is open world, with massive draw distances and fantastic ligthing. Speciail things will happen on the new consoles, believe it. But in the end, it will just mean these cool things will be developed for the new consoles and then we can amp them up even more on our PCs :cool:

Eh, GPU power will still inevitably limit whatever they can muster in the end. Just like how it is now. Although, as I stated in the One thread, they will be able to do a whole lot more with that sort of power than we can with unoptimized ports on the PC, but they will still only be able to get so far before computational power becomes a problem.

Also reword your last sentence. Anything that will release on the PC gets developed for the PC then ported to consoles. x86 consoles FTW. Several high end developers have already stated this.

Nope, sentence is still true. What I mean is just because they develop on PC doesn't mean much really. Because if the new consoles hadn't have existed in x86 form, it wouldn't be the case (asin, they wouldn't be made for PC). So the new consoles will still empower new experiences on the PC, simply because more money is put into console games in general yet due to all three platforms being the same PC reaps the reward of the really high budgets usually associated with consoles only. But as they are basically all one now, the PC will benefit, and then more so. Because whatever they had in mind to create on the new consoles will just be the same but even better on PC because we can run at higher FPS, mods, and better graphics providing devs arn't lazy.

It's kind of ironic that the biggest benefactor of both the new consoles is not themselves, but the PC market.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom