Potentially the longest thread in history...

Re: Today I have...

Just because yours is ****ter doesn't mean I should be happy. There is always someone worse off. My broadband is about 1/4 of the UK average, and 1/60th of what they have access to a mile up the road. 360p on youtube has to buffer a lot of the time, HD ... lawl. Like funny GIF sites ? thats a ****ing slow process on 2mb. Page of gifs takes many minutes to load.

Game.. yes I can game. You can play most MP games on 256K, besides, I play very few MP games any more so that isn't much of a concern.

And for the record, that's triple my upload speed. And yes I do care about upload speed. I upload quite a lot of photos, work, and videos.

We have a ladyboy in the house, eek.

Thats what you get for living in the middle of nowhere, so that is your own doing :p I live in a large town a few minutes drive from a big city. No excuse for my internet, which is proven by every damn town surrounding me having mega speeds.
You're going to whine ***** and complain about your free 2Mb then say that is what you get for living in the middle of nowhere? It isn't his own doing, IIRC he lives with his mom and they have been there for a while. When I lived in Venus with my parents I had 14.4k, then had to steal the same kind of internet service he has from a dude almost 1000ft away from my house resulting in slower than 1Mb speeds, and when point to point finally came out in 2004 I bought the 1.5Mb package for the pings. I know what slow speeds are like, and I can equally if not be more ****ed because I have paid for my own internet since I was 16. Paying 65 monthly can get you 35Mb+ fiber in the city yet I was supposed to be getting 5 and only got 0.22. That is something to ***** about. You? You have free internet and are pretty much guaranteed to have speedy fiber relatively soon. My point was just that, stop whining about it when you are going to have fast speeds soon. People like Charles will have to rely on over priced internet just to get decent speeds still. Me? Sure, I have 20Mb Time Warner cable right now and it is costing me 50 a month. 5 miles down the road in Irving Texas they have Verizon FiOS offering 35/35 for the same damn price. I'd say that is pretty ****.
I'll add the icing to the cake with a little demonstration which further shows my frustration on internet.

net.jpg

Ok, the red dot is the place I used to live. We moved 2 months ago after Verizon confirmed there will be no DSL for the next few years. That wasn't the only reason we left, but was a leading cause. Back in 2006 Verizon (who owns the land lines in that area) quoted me a 2015 date at the earliest for the slowest DSL they offer. So, in 2004 point to point wireless services started popping up to make huge bank on us poor souls with dialup and Hughes. Top package offered in 2004 was 3Mb for 65 a month. As of today, top package is still 5Mb for 65 a month. The closest tower is in Venus which is 4.5 miles as indicated on the map. The radius on those units is about 5 miles max meaning anything over 4 is hit and miss in speed.

The yellow dot is my parents house. I lived there until 2008, which as you can see is literally across the main road from where I used to live. They need an extended range antenna to go to the backbone tower which is in a town 12 miles away to the south east. Max they can get is 2Mb for the same price of 65 a month. Yea, it's that ****ty. See the purple dot with the red line? That red line is Mansfield city limit which is less than 3 miles from either house, the purple dot is a friends house who has 18Mb ATT Uverse. Why does he have that and we don't? Word has it Skybeam has paid off Verizon quite a bit of money not to sell the lines to ATT so people out there like me have to pay outrageous prices just to have decent internet.
I moved, and I'm stuck paying a crappy price for what I call slow cable and I'm still only just a few miles away from the best internet the area has to offer. My best friend has 85/45 FiOS with the option of 300Mb. Don't get me wrong I'm happy with 20, actually quite happy. It's just seriously frustrating for it to be 8 years later and I'm still kind of in that same situation.

TL;DR? Don't ***** about your internet. Be happy with what you got and what you are getting quickly. I know a ton of people who would die to even have 2Mb DSL out in Venus because it wont cut out when it rains.

I don't want to start a huge problem here, but am I the only one who thinks the US needs to move the **** on from 9/11? It was 11 years ago and people go on and on about it like it was just yesterday. Every damn year I get on Facebook only to see tons of remember crap. Ya know, I feel sorry for the lives lost and the families from that event, but lets face it there is patriotism, and then there is just hanging on to the past for no reason. The Americans have done some pretty ****ed up things to other countries and no eyelashes are batted. A few thousand people die from a single attack on US soil and years later people weep over it. Yet we dropped a bomb on Japan and look at them. The genocide of the Native Americans nobody seems to care about. Sure, back then they were not very nice at all but then again when somebody trespasses on your property in Texas you go straight for the shotgun, no? They were doing the same. Yet, this country couldn't care less.
When 9/11 happened I was in 8th grade and I remember it like it was yesterday. I didn't care then and I don't care now. IMO this country has been asking for an attack on our soil for years because we can't keep our noses out of other countries business. We have economical turmoil going on here and the US government is more worried about the middle east second world than its own people. Pretty sad, and for this I stand on my opinion of, lets all move on people.
Again this is simply my opinion and I know a few share the same feelings as I do so don't bash me for thinking this way.
Before anybody says I would think differently if I had family there, no you're wrong. My family wouldn't want me to be this way every year, they would want me to move on. I understand people cope differently, but sometimes I feel that people only do the 9/11 crap to seem moral.

Edit: Not only that, but people posting about our guys fighting for freedom.....it's absolutely pointless. Our military and freedom has nothing to do with a few planes crashing into some buildings full of civilians on US soil. IMO, be thankful for your tax paid city services who go through a LOT when something like that or a natural disaster happens. Your firemen, policemen, EMT's ect do more than the military when disasters on US soil happens because the city workers are always there before the National Guard is even called.

Last edited:
Our whole 20 floor building had a 1 minute of silence during work today for 9/11. And it wasn't even in the UK.

I'm far from guaranteed to get fiber. To get fiber they have to lay 2km of fiber cable to my town. That costs, a lot. I'm so uncertain you may have seen i've had to approach the council for confirmation. It seems pretty unlikely, but I hope so. All they have guaranteed so far is that my local ADSL exchange is upgraded to support fiber, and along with that a deployment of fiber to the most cost effective street cabinets. Basically, the shortest length they have to lay fiber from a street cabinet to a trunk cable or the exchange, while also serving the most people.

And I am paying for half of my houses internet, actually. I'm paying extra for ADSL2+ upgrade, double data allowance, and FastPath profileing (removes error correction so pings are halved).

Howcome your allowed to be annoyed at 20Mbit and i'm not allowed to be annoyed at 2Mbit ? I can make a picture like that too. But more extreme.

My mistake about corrosive, I thought he was living on his own in a house he chose. Oops.

Tell me this doesn't suck... i'm the red dot inside the black circle.
speed.jpg

I've never had fast internet. When I was a kid we were on standard 56k dial up, then we went to 512Kb ADSL for a few years back in early 2000. For the past 7 or so years we've been on 2Mbit that until a while back couldn't hold a connection for even a couple of hours. Since paying through the roof for a good router we can keep a connection for a few days now, hallelujah.

Last edited:

I'm not annoyed with 20Mb, I'm annoyed with being in the same situation for the past 10 or so years. The past 8 of which ATT was less than 3 miles down the road from me. According to that, you look like you are much further from faster connection than I was. I'm lazy as hell and could easily walk to where 18Mb DSL was. Yet because of some monopoly BS we were stuck with that point to point nonsense.

Right where I am I'm in the same situation. What I want is within walking distance from my place. Like I said, I'm quite happy with 20Mb, but I would prefer to have the 35/35 fiber for the same price because I upload HD videos to Youtube and hate it taking 2 hours or more depending on the size.

Besides, this whole conversation was brought up because you started bragging about what is coming to your area and now you are changing your story :|

I live with family due to economical issues, but, the family as a whole wants faster internet and less caps.

You should see the crap my ISP is pulling, 10Mbps with a 10GB monthly upload and download combined cap... Yea.. NOT nice. Currently im on a 1.5Mbps package with 500MB/day + free unlimited time period at night, I tend to hit 3.0Mbps though. But try living with 2800ms to the nearest server to the NOC that I end up on.

Also, I live 2 miles from someone that has 25Mbps DSL, less than a mile away it sits around 5ish. Bellsouth was in the process of getting DSL to my home back in ~2002, but AT&T bought them, cancelled all plans for DSL runs out here. Thank you federal government, for allowing a monopoly in this region to screw us over.

Last edited:
Yea, but there was a lot of international people that died in the attack. It was pretty bad for the time, but, ultimately, people need to start moving on in life. Sucks, yes, but, you can't dwell on the past.

It's about a 1.5mile walk to 120Mbps I guess looking at it.

And yeah, lol. It was more of a celebration than bragging. But that was because I had just heard the news and hadn't thought it through a bit more :p

I just want it so damn much, and after waiting 6+ years (Technically longer, but I only started caring around the time i joined TF) to finally see a glimmer of hope for fast internet it was a very happy moment. I would quite literally spend 200 a month if that guaranteed me 100Mbps or something. To me it is worth it, because I spend 98% of my free time on the web.

Steam games with no preload.. they kill me. Games are so big these days it takes me the best part of 20hours to download a game like Max Payne 3. So basically the entire release day is spent just downloading, while my friends on 20 to 120Mbps are playing in just an hour or two.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom