Potentially the longest thread in history...

You mean a paddle shifter. or as the English call it, flappy paddles. A paddle shifter can run off an automatic or a manual, but its transparent to you the driver. basically, it will work like an automatic and shift on its own, but the little paddles will let you shift up and down at your own will without a clutch. They invented them for race cars so they could shift really fast and they are becoming more common in regular cars.

The big thing about paddle sis their quality and performance varies based on what the actual transmission is. Generally you want it to run off a manual underneath as generally speaking manuals are more efficient at delivering power to the road, they also tend to be more fuel efficient. There are some exceptions. If you don't know then ask, what you want is a dual clutch manual transmission. VW calls their dual clutch gear box the DSG, Mitsubishi calls it the Twin Clutch SST.
Twin-clutch gearbox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If the car you are looking at uses a dual clutch transmission then you are good to go. Most cheap cars with paddles will be hooked up to an equally cheap automatic transmission. From what I have been told, shifting in one takes a few seconds. Something that is not desirable.

And another thing, a lot of people deride manuals, but honestly they are not hard to use. Its pretty simple, you push in the clutch pedal and shift to the next gear. Whats so hard about that? Personally I think they are better as they force you to pay attention while driving and that means fewer wrecks due to stupid things. You can't use a stick and talk on the cellphone at the same time.

I just checked and the Mazda 3 is either manual or auto, not semi auto, and the speed3 is manual only.

Really? My co-worker's Mazda3 5 door hatch did o_O

But, ya if I could afford a decent Civic SI or Speed3 or found either for close enough to $10,000 that my dad could haggle down, that'd make my day hahaha

Back
Top Bottom