Please help, computer will not allow me to connect to internet via hardwire

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi everyone!

I built a dedicated security system about 2 years ago. It has worked flawlessly. Last week, for some reason, this computer will not permit me to connect to the internet now. Also, it will not permit me to access my security software [Blue Iris] remotely.

Tonight, I tried to connect the computer using a wireless signal, and it finally did permit me to access the internet, but does not permit me to access the Blue Iris software remotely.

Strange part, is when I connect my cat6 wire to the switch, the little icon in the bottom task bar of the computer sceen shows that I am connected to my network...yet computer still cannot access the internet via the Local Area Connection...not sure what to do, but I sure am desperate to find a solution here.

Please help me if you can.

Thank you!

Soar

Could be that your IP changed if you didn't have a static IP address from your provider. Also there's a possibility that another device is using the same IP addy as yours. Instead of remotely connecting to the Blue Iris, go wired and if possible set up a separate IP on your PC that is above the range of IP's of any other devices within the network. You might try disconnecting all the other devices within the network and see if you can access the Blue Iris wired that way too

Could be that your IP changed if you didn't have a static IP address from your provider. Also there's a possibility that another device is using the same IP addy as yours. Instead of remotely connecting to the Blue Iris, go wired and if possible set up a separate IP on your PC that is above the range of IP's of any other devices within the network. You might try disconnecting all the other devices within the network and see if you can access the Blue Iris wired that way too

Thanks for the reply Joe! I assigned static IP addresses to each device a couple of years ago, this security computer included. I checked by using command prompt :ipconfig, and the IP address is still the same.

What else can I do? I have included a screen shot of the various internet connections available...but the local area connection will not work, and can't seem to figure out how to use the broadband connection [wan mini port pppoe].

Also, is it possible that the onboard lan card on the motherboard is bad?

Thanks,

Soar

Attachments

• Internet connections.JPG
    Internet connections.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Joe! I assigned static IP addresses to each device a couple of years ago, this security computer included. I checked by using command prompt :ipconfig, and the IP address is still the same.

He's talking about your public IP, not your internal network IP.

When you try to access your system remotely, do you do it via IP or via some dynamic address?

If you do it via IP, then go to IP Chicken - Whats my IP address? ip address lookup and compare the IP address there to what you normally use. If they're different...then your ISP reassigned a new IP to you, so you'll have to use the new IP. If it's the same still..then there's another issue somewhere.

He's talking about your public IP, not your internal network IP.

When you try to access your system remotely, do you do it via IP or via some dynamic address?

If you do it via IP, then go to IP Chicken - Whats my IP address? ip address lookup and compare the IP address there to what you normally use. If they're different...then your ISP reassigned a new IP to you, so you'll have to use the new IP. If it's the same still..then there's another issue somewhere.

Carnage,

My problem is with not being able to connect to the internet via hard wire. Public IP address is the same on all my computers. Yes, my IP service changed the public IP address last week, but this change has never prohibited my ability to go online...

What else can I look for?

Ah sorry, I thought you were just having issues trying to get to your security system remotely.

According to your screenshot, your Local Area Connection is disabled.

Right click the connection and select Enable. If that doesn't work, check your Device Manager and re-enable your ethernet port.

Ah sorry, I thought you were just having issues trying to get to your security system remotely.

According to your screenshot, your Local Area Connection is disabled.

Right click the connection and select Enable. If that doesn't work, check your Device Manager and re-enable your ethernet port.

Thanks for your reply CarnageX!

Ok, I already performed various attempts to disable and enable the LAC...still no success. Next, I reinstalled the LAN driver for the motherboard and now I can access the internet via LAN again. So thanks, it worked.

But now I cannot access the Blue Iris remotely, even after punching in the new WAN IP address.

I was thinking about uninstalling Blue Iris Remote and reinstalling it...

Have you any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Port(s) forwarded correctly?
Firewall disabled on router, or is the system running the security software in the DMZ?

Back
Top Bottom