Playstation 3 - Network Issue

Raze664

Daemon Poster
Basically, I've dug my PS3 out of my cupboard for GTA V and now that GTA Online is out I wanted to give that a shot, but I'm having some issues with getting the PS3 to connect reliably.

Basically, it will not connect to any friends games, and will sometimes connect to random invites to games, but once I've finished that one, PSN will collapse.

If I try to connect to a friends game, it will go through a sequence of:

• Failed to find a compatible game with friends in,
  • Failed to host a game,
  • Reloads single player - disconnects from PSN, which won't reconnect until console has been rebooted.
  • Won't do anything network related - just says DNS Error

It also does this sometimes when I try to do things on the PS3 in general, like chatting to someone.

If I try to change any of the network settings, it will fail to get an IP address at all from the router, which has been assigned a static one, and tried putting it outside of the DMZ on my router, had no effect. I've tried both wireless and wired, neither one will work for more than one game.

So far things I've tried:

1. Resetting Console Settings To Default Multiple Times
  2. Changing DNS settings to OpenDNS and various other ones
  3. Setting DNS to Automatic and Manually to my actual settings
  4. Assigning Static IP and Allowing Outside of DMZ
  5. Opening Firewall Ports and Disabling Firewall on Router
  6. Changed MTU Settings
  7. Wireless and Wired Connections
  8. Updating Router Firmware
  9. Restarting Router
  10. Disabling WPS
  11. Disabling Automatic Date on PS3
  12. Disabling Media Server on PS3

Everything else connects fine, Xbox, PC, Laptops, Phones, Tablets.

Anyone got any additional ideas?

Last edited:
This network thing is the freaking worst. The only thing that solved my issues was to hook it up on a LAN line.

NAT TYPE IS ALMOST ALWAYS AN ISSUE.

NAT TYPE 3 will kill your online experience all the time.

I wish I had an easy answer for you, but you have a very long list of things you've tried.

I didn't see anything about calling Sony directly. They were able to give me some additional ports I was missing. This could help your situation.

Checked all the ports from both Sony, other forums and the GTA website. Seems they're fine, mine is showing up as NAT 2 rather than 3, which from what I can find out, seems to be what most people have.

There's quite a lot of issues from the internet of PS3's with Belkin ADSL routers, so I'm wondering if it's that, I might pick up a new router and see how that goes.

Checked all the ports from both Sony, other forums and the GTA website. Seems they're fine, mine is showing up as NAT 2 rather than 3, which from what I can find out, seems to be what most people have.

There's quite a lot of issues from the internet of PS3's with Belkin ADSL routers, so I'm wondering if it's that, I might pick up a new router and see how that goes.

Not sure if it's in your budget, but I purchased the D-Link PowerLine DHP 500AV series and it works wonderfully. I average 12-14 Mbps, when before with WiFi it was 6-8 Mbps.

Back
Top Bottom