Permanately turn off norton in sp2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
A buddy of mine at work is having some trouble with norton in sp2. Imagine that? Anyway, I erased norton but I forgot how, I remember having a lot of trouble doing it but I finally got it done.

Anyway, everytime he boots up norton is on and blocks him from a ton of sites. He just manually disables it and bam, it's fixed.

How can you SHUT IT OFF so it doesn't come on unless you start the program? I tried to figure it out myself but-- oh wait, I don't even have norton! :confused:

He needs to go into the security console in the Control Panel and turn off the "Anti Virus" setting. It will continue to show you the "Red X" over in the sys tray, however It should disable it completely.

You can help the system recognize the lack of norton by accessing his: (msconfig) and unchecking norton from starting up on the "Startup" tab.

Why not just uninstall Norton Completly? Have you even tried that. If you try deleting the file for norton its only more trouble.

Remmeber to replace Norton with AVG or Avast after the uninstall.

Ste said:
Why not just uninstall Norton Completly? Have you even tried that. If you try deleting the file for norton its only more trouble.

Remmeber to replace Norton with AVG or Avast after the uninstall.

I uninstalled norton COMPLETELY.

This isn't me though, this is a buddy at work. He just wants to be able to get anywhere on the internet without having to disable norton every time. That's it.

So just disable the anti virus? He already has AVG, so I assume he won't even get the red X from it.

ccAp and VPTray I think ? Tell him to look at the path associated to the files... He should be able to see the paths leading back to symantec.

bradybnmci said:
ccAp and VPTray I think ? Tell him to look at the path associated to the files... He should be able to see the paths leading back to symantec.

<3

thanks boss.

It could also be done through the administrator tools. That way there if his boss at work (unlikely) turns on the computer it wont give him a *start up has been hampered w/* warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom