PC shutting off, I suspect PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazeD

Fully Optimized
Right, so...

I tried to play NFS:Undercover, and right as the game loaded my PC went off. No error, no BSOD, just OFF. I said wtf, and booted back up and tried it again and it worked fine, and then I realized the game sucked anyway, but yeah...

So I thought maybe it was just a fluke. Until I try to play Oblivion, and it shuts down several times. Then, I can't get it to boot...just starts then shuts down a few seconds later. I have a lot of fans and extra un-needed junk, so I unplugged everything except ATX, video, and CPU power and I could then boot into BIOS.

Right now I have just my three hard drives in, ATX, video, and CPU power. It hasn't crashed since I did this.

I plugged my multi-meter into a 12v line on a molex, but it's not digital so I can't get an exact reading. It's just before the 12v mark, so I'm gonna say something like 11.95 or something. When I start 3DMark06, it dips scarily close to 11.5v, and then goes back to, I'm guessing somewhere around 11.9, 11.95 (again, guessing, hard to tell on analogue meter).

Also, once this shut down happens, I have absolutely nothing until I unplug the PSU (or switch it off) and wait till the power drains, and my power LED flashes until I do that (which also happens when the power goes out, so I'm guessing it's something to do with my BIOS).

My CPU is overclocked and has been at the same clocks for a long time without any issues. Video card is not overclocked. RAM is actually underclocked.

The PSU is an Antec Smartpower 500W, 12v1 17A, 12v2 19A. It is 2-3 years old.

Rest of specs:
AMD Athlon X2 4800+ @ 2.85GHz
2x2GB G.Skill DDR2 1000 @ 960MHz
MSI K9A Platinum
HD4850 @ stock

Oh, and CPU temps are fine (35*C or so).

Sounds like PSU to me, what say you?

If its going straight off without crashing, I'd blame a PSU..

Are you looking for recommendations for the PSU?

just a thought I got a brand new rp-550-2 for 45 if you need one. but yeah sounds like a bad psu.

Not really looking for recommendations, I've already got my eye on a new one.

Just confirming my diagnosis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom