PC keeps losing Internet connecting behind Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katmandu

In Runtime
I have a (2) PCs behind a Linksys WRT54G router. This is all behind a cable modem.

The setup has worked fine for many, many months. Now just recently, the PCs keep losing the internet connections.

The lights on the router indict there is connecting to the internet and is is blinking rapidly (showing activity).

The router lights also show the connection of the (2) PCs. The lights on the router for the PCs are glowing steadily with NO activity.

I have to constantly go thru a series of rebooting everything until finally and internet connection can be established.

This has become quite aggrevating as you could imagine.

Both PCs running XP Pro.

What could be going on here ????

See sig for one of the PCs setup. The other is similiar.

TIA!

When this problem occurs, do not reboot your router. You must find out some information for me before I can help you. I want you to do the following:

1. Click on Start (Start Menu)
2. Click on Run
3. Type in "command"
4. Press Enter
5. When the new box opens up, type in "ipconfig"
6. Press Enter
7. Type ALL of the information that is displayed in a text document of sorts, save it
8. Copy and paste this into a reply.

I believe I may be able to help you, this seems easy enough. There is one more step I wish for you to do so that I can fully diagnose your issue.

1. Click Start
2. Click Control Panel
3. Open up Network Connections
4. Right click on your wireless connection and go to Properties
5. Assure you are in the General tab and scroll down to find Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
6. Click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
7. Press the properties button towards the right, below this list.
8. Assure you are in the General Tab.
9. Tell me if it is set to Obtain an IP Address Automatically for both. If not, give me all information in these text boxes.

I believe, only after you do this, can I solve your problem for you.

IP Address: 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Yes, the IP address is configured automatically.

Since you noted that the router has LED's for activity to both PC's, I would have to assume that they are both WIRED hosts. Can you confirm this?

Also, when the problem occurs, does it effect BOTH PC's at the same time, or is it intermittant, and not always at the same time?

After the trouble occurs again, Open the command prompt and perform the IPCONFIG command again as Sodaen described, and post the results here again.

Also, does your router's config page have a log that would indicate if your router is losing connectivity to the modem, or if the internet is dropping between the modem and the ISP? What type of internet connection do you have, Cable or DSL? Does your ISP provide you with a static IP, or Dynamic IP?

Since you noted that the router has LED's for activity to both PC's, I would have to assume that they are both WIRED hosts. Can you confirm this?
Yes, they are hardwired to the router.

Also, when the problem occurs, does it effect BOTH PC's at the same time, or is it intermittant, and not always at the same time?
Both lose connection at the same time.

Also, does your router's config page have a log that would indicate if your router is losing connectivity to the modem, or if the internet is dropping between the modem and the ISP?
I haven't yet seen a log showing this. But the WAN light on the router continues to blink right along with the WAN light on the cable modem.

What type of internet connection do you have, Cable or DSL? Does your ISP provide you with a static IP, or Dynamic IP?
Cable. I believe it's assigned Dynamically.

have you tried to power cycle them? and if so did you do it in the right order?

if not try power cycling your cable modem first while your router is unplugged then cycle your router once your modem gets an ip.

I'm very sorry for the late reply. This is a long shot, but we can try this. Instead of assigning them dynamically (DHCP), go back into the network settings like I had you do earlier. Change the settings from Automatically Obtain IP Address. Put all 3 of these inputs inside. As for primary DNS server, put in 192.168.1.1, see if that cures the problem.

You said there is no difference in lighting when this problem occurs, it could mean that the DHCP service is attempting to remove your IP address lease prematurely and there are only a few available DHCP IP addresses. This is actually a problem I had with one of my field service customers. I fixed it another way, but this would be more simple. Yeah, give it a shot.

IP Address: 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom