Overclocking computer

Nevermind I had it set on lock. Works fine now.

How high should I set the multiplier?

Currently have it on 11.0

Also the VID is 1.1500V should I lower it or increase it?

BD PROCHOT what is that and should it be enabled?

Currently I have a speed of 2,933MHz.

Multiplier of 12 causes instability.

So should I use 11 or 11.5?

Also Do I have to start the program every time I start the computer or does it do it automatically?

Now the other PC runs a Core 2 Quad Q9100 which cannot have its multiplier unlocked, but I'm soon gonna upgrade it to the QX9300 like the main PC runs. I will then be able to stream better.

In a bit I'm going to test 11 and 11.5 to see how well Fortnite runs.

Thanks for the help.

You may have just saved me from having to buy a better PC for awhile.

AT 11.0 multiplier and 1.1500 VID the CPU temp is 104F.

Now if throttlestop cannot be set to run at startup I can create a task that can automatically run it.

Last edited:
So here's the numbers.

Normal.

1 normal.jpg

Overclocked

1 overclock.jpg

That's the best settings I can get without crashing.

Also I did create a task yesterday and looking at a tutorial online today it said to create a task so it starts automatically.

Fortnite seems to run a little better now.

Once I get another of these processors I'll put it in the streaming computer so I can overclock it the same.

Hmmmmmmmm tempted to see if this would work on a Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop I have running Windows 10.

Looking at these on Ebay they're between 60-70 bucks, it's just not worth the cost. For overclocking if you up the multiplier for a higher core speed then the voltage also needs to be upped for stability, which would then start needing a better cooler. Just remember that when graphics cards normalize eventually a decent Nvidia card will be able to handle the streaming for you and the two machine setup won't be necessary. Anything from the 1050ti up has an NVENC chip which offloads the H.264 encoding from the streaming to the GPU rather than the CPU.

Perhaps but fortnite alone keeps processor usage at near 100% so add to that OBS and it would cause issues.

I may play around with the pc and increase the voltage and see if I can get a higher overclock.

60-70 is worth it to me.

Well it froze on me this morning just doing normal stuff so I upped the Voltage ID to 1.1875 and it seems to be good.

Another way to possibly increase performance is to use MSI Afterburner. Only thing is I can only control the fan speed and memory clock speed. Memory clock is at 900MHz so I bumped it up by 100MHz. I suppose that if I go too high there will be problems, right?

I can only reduce the core clock speed though and not increase it. At least MSI Afterburner shows no increase.

Last edited:
Perhaps but fortnite alone keeps processor usage at near 100% so add to that OBS and it would cause issues.

I may play around with the pc and increase the voltage and see if I can get a higher overclock.

60-70 is worth it to me.
It or the secondary PC when trying to stream you're putting all that work on a slow CPU because it's encoding using x264. When using NVENC on a better GPU that encoding load is done on the GPU and the CPU is left for the game. Between the two stock there's a 300MHz difference, and OCing the stream PC could cause some issues for the stream or a crash mid stream. In reality even an i3 10100 would run circles around your dual system setup and be able to use the IGP for Quicksync in OBS. I'm all about making old shit do things it's not supposed to do (made 2 8800GTX run Metro 2033) but at the end of the day the more you nickel and dime this dual system setup you could have had a newer system to actually stream properly. Even if you did have to use the GT710 for a while, an i3 10100 is only a little more than this old quad on ebay.
Well it froze on me this morning just doing normal stuff so I upped the Voltage ID to 1.1875 and it seems to be good.

Another way to possibly increase performance is to use MSI Afterburner. Only thing is I can only control the fan speed and memory clock speed. Memory clock is at 900MHz so I bumped it up by 100MHz. I suppose that if I go too high there will be problems, right?

I can only reduce the core clock speed though and not increase it. At least MSI Afterburner shows no increase.
MSI Afterburner is for the GPU, so it makes sense that the core clock is locked on a 710.

It seemed to be locked, but when I started Fortnite the clock went up to what I set it to.

I definitely could have had a better system. However I've had to buy things piece by piece and wouldn't have had the money for a full system at one time.

Last edited:
I've noticed something. At random Voicemeeter Banana will screw up to where the VU meters of the actively playing source will go to full and the app closes and won't restart, Fortnite randomly closes to the desktop sometimes without warning and sometimes the audio in fortnite is faster.

Is that related to the overclocking or something else?

However I've had to buy things piece by piece and wouldn't have had the money for a full system at one time.
Kinda my point, you have something to play right now and instead of beating not one but 2 dead horses it's time to just use what you got and start piecing together something new.

I've noticed something. At random Voicemeeter Banana will screw up to where the VU meters of the actively playing source will go to full and the app closes and won't restart, Fortnite randomly closes to the desktop sometimes without warning and sometimes the audio in fortnite is faster.

Is that related to the overclocking or something else?
I'm not sure. Could be that, or could be too many things trying to mess with the audio pipeline. My experience with that software wasn't very positive and I stopped using it almost immediately but I can't recall what my exact issue is. I'm a diehard surround sound guy though, so any 3rd part software usually degrades my signal chain so I stray away from it.

Back
Top Bottom