OnLive Introduces The Future of Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildside

Hellfire!
Next-generation "cloud" technology could change videogames forever.

IGN: GDC 09: OnLive Introduces The Future of Gaming

IGN Video: GDC 09: OnLive Video Demo PC Games - OnLive Demo Video

Just announced at this year's GDC, OnLive is an on-demand gaming service. It's essentially the gaming version of cloud computing - everything is computed, rendered and housed online. In its simplest description, your controller inputs are uploaded, a high-end server takes your inputs and plays the game, and then a video stream of the output is sent back to your computer. Think of it as something like Youtube or Hulu for games.

this is awesome! I won't have to upgrade my computer ever again! I'm down for this definitely if this gets pulled off. I just thought of something right now. How would this effect sales of high-end hardware if you wouldn't need it to play games like Crysis silky smooth?

what do you guys think?

UPDATE:

interview part 1 and 2 from Gametrailers detailing Onlive with the CEO and Founder of OnLive:

Gametrailers.com - Onlive: Reviews, Trailers, and Interviews

I think half an industry would collapse and these forums would be mostly meaningless as a result :p

Also I think the whole idea is a bit too optimistic, and would be incredibly expensive to both run and use. I would give it a try though :)

I would be extremely impressed if that actually worked. I know I've thought of something like that and I'm sure plenty of others have to but it always seemed like you would need a insane amount of bandwidth and computing power to do it. But if they can get 720p games on a 5mbps connection that would be really impressive. Though I wonder how they would handle the computer power needed...

And finally the ability to rent PC games!

I HIGHLY doubt this would work. For one in America alone there are many places with dial-up only..and some places no net period. Then you got to take in effect if you're playing games with something like that they would need $1000 worth of hardware for every user. High price means they carry it on to the consumer. That means everyone is going to have to pay a lot..or they'll have to have certain pay for a certain cap on what you can do..........

Again...I highly doubt this would happen. At least not now...maybe in 50 years

It would still be just like any other online game. The client (user) machine would still have to do the computing and rendering of what is happening on the player's end. In other words, it looks good on paper but isn't really that different than what we already have.

Or not. If it worked the way they say it does then it would be worth a try... at least for those who game.

For some reason, this gives me visions of "Dragon's Lair"...

hmm, seems stupid. what if your internet goes out for like a week? then what? you cant game because you got no internet. i feel like they are trying to do this for people who dont know jack about pc gaming and then they think they have a "uber computer" cause they can play crysis maxed out on thier intel integrated graphics over the internet.

just my opinion :)

but that's the end of my little rant,

They would need really beefy servers or something, what will happen if over a million people want to play Crysis or something at once. I can't see this really catching on though. Computer hardware has a big industry and something like this would hurt ATI or Nvidia sales. And I don't think those companies would let that happen.

They would need really beefy servers or something, what will happen if over a million people want to play Crysis or something at once. I can't see this really catching on though. Computer hardware has a big industry and something like this would hurt ATI or Nvidia sales. And I don't think those companies would let that happen.

good point, i agree. i do not see this working.

remember a few weeks ago when steam let you play UT3 for free for a weekend? everybody and their sister started downloading it and then their servers started crapping up.

Agreed.. I saw this on Extremetech yesterday, and they also mentioned Network Bandwidth as the biggest con with this

if u have at least 5Mbps bandwidth, ur clear. They demoed Crysis Wars on a Macbook Lite, and it was going so smooth like butter. They said they have high-end servers, so this seems like fair competition in terms of how to play games easier then shedding $$$$ to play the latest games.

i would want to able to cross play with PS3 and Xbox 360 and support higher than 720p resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom