Official Windows 10 Thread

I installed Windows 10 in a VM, and I haven't had any problems running it virtualized vs on "real" hardware. My first takeaway is that it is a lot more like windows 7, which seems to be the consensus here. I'd be curious to see how it works on a Windows tablet, like the Surface Pro; but as I unfortunately don't have one, I'll ha to be satisfied with running it in a VM.
Microsoft also just released a huge update for the technical preview, that I haven't had a chance to install yet.

I'll have to install the update this weekend and see what all is fixed.

I deleted my VM with it because I needed space on my second SSD. Decided I'll just wait till the beta and toss it on my machine like I did with 7 and 8.

So after reading a bit into the article I noticed something.
They said, "The software, expected to be released in final form next year, is designed to run across the broadest array of devices, with screens ranging from four inches to 80 inches, with some devices having no screens at all." I bolded the part I wanted to point out. Are they going to allow us to install but get rid of the GUI and go the Linux/Unix route? I understand it would be a bit of a backwards step since it would be like going back to a primarily DOS based system. What do you guys think? Are they hinting at that or just saying that it's now available on hardware with no screens (router/DVR/Phones/Etc...)?

So after reading a bit into the article I noticed something.
They said, "The software, expected to be released in final form next year, is designed to run across the broadest array of devices, with screens ranging from four inches to 80 inches, with some devices having no screens at all." I bolded the part I wanted to point out. Are they going to allow us to install but get rid of the GUI and go the Linux/Unix route? I understand it would be a bit of a backwards step since it would be like going back to a primarily DOS based system. What do you guys think? Are they hinting at that or just saying that it's now available on hardware with no screens (router/DVR/Phones/Etc...)?

Most likely the latter - being able to use it on embedded devices.

No screens doesn't mean no GUI (i.e. shell access only) - but just that..no screen at all.

Server 2012 has the option for no GUI when you install it - and I believe allows you to switch between GUI/no GUI on the fly.

Ya it will be no GUI. It's called Server Core in Server 2008 through Server 2012 R2. It's a shell of the installation which doesn't have a GUI. This reduces attack surface and makes the server easier to manage (IE less things can break).

It's definitely the direction they are going with their server class OS's. They aren't used a lot now adays but they are becoming more and more common. I don't see it as a replacement for Red Hat but something to use on external facing servers were things like IIS are installed.

Back
Top Bottom