Nothing quite like Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbt52

Baseband Member
I dont think a company has embraced and created a brand quite like Apple has. Their logo and image is more than just their brand, it is a whole entity of its own. What do you think? Are there any companies whose marketing and branding you really admire?

Well apple has a interesting consumer standpoint, they where prity much the first serious home computer start up to offer a easy to use machine that could entertain and be useful in the work place.

They offered the world the first GUI and pointing device (both taken from Xerox PARC) that made for a killer technology at the time as most computers where still using the terminal as the main interface, while some like myself love interaction with a computer like that most don't they want to point click and get it done, apple did this then IBM and Microsoft had to play catch up for a while.

I am not going to get into the whole fanboy issue as no single system has the audibility to perform perfectly under any circumstance but, apple market there products very well and central to that is the silence about new products. Remember when you where a kid of Christmas eve? you coulndt contain your excitement knowing something nice is coming but you have no idea what that is so your mind races and excitement builds.

That's what makes them such a much have item.

Everyone should watch "Welcome to Macintosh". It's a good Documentary. It shows the progression of Apple in all it's glory and it's failures. I also recommend "Revolution OS" if anyone hasn't seen any of these.

I can't say that I really admire any companies marketing or branding. I prefer to judge companies on the quality of their products and in that regard Samsung seems to be on a roll lately.

Everyone should watch "Welcome to Macintosh". It's a good Documentary. It shows the progression of Apple in all it's glory and it's failures. I also recommend "Revolution OS" if anyone hasn't seen any of these.

Welcome to Mac is well, poor it's a vid by Apple fans for Apple fan's. RevoloutionOS however is prity much the gold standard if a little biased when it comes to the history of Linux and the early Opensource IPO's

I can't say that I really admire any companies marketing or branding. I prefer to judge companies on the quality of their products and in that regard Samsung seems to be on a roll lately.

Eh, not sold yet but I do admit they are making some really nice hardware of late.

I like apples products and marketing in general. But sometimes it's a bit awkward to watch, they are so clearly in love with themselves (maybe rightly so?) but it makes for awkward viewing. Some of the ways they describe there products is just embarrassing sometimes.

It also annoys me that they don't give full device specifications anywhere. If i were to only use apples website i would not know what model processor is in my iMac. I know it's sandy bridge 2.5ghz i5. But that's it, i mean tell me more for **** sakes.

I don't personally like Mac's because Apple overcharges for everything they put inside their computers. They have good marketing to sell an overpriced brand named machine. Not to mention they're really cocky. iPhone 4, "This changes everything. Again." Except not really right? Because It's basically an iPhone 3G with a few more features that tons of other phones already have, and that you could get anyways by jailbreaking a 3G. Doesn't make sense...

I think the reason Apple has so much hype about new products compared to other companies is because other companies release dozens of phones a year. Apple releases one new refresh of their products on a pretty much yearly basis. Despite having the antenna problem, the iPhone 4 is still the most popular smart phone :tongue:

Reminds me of the Motorola Droid... Everyone was saying "this is the phone to kill the iPhone"
It sold alright.. then the Droid 2 came out with not nearly as much fanfare as the Droid 1. Apple gets more and more publicity every phone they release, and even the negative press (Antenna problems) isn't enough to stop them from selling millions :tongue:

I think people buy Apple for the same reason I buy PC. Fanboyism.

You build PC. Difference :grin:

Here's a question, why does Apple overcharge for a lot of the components going into their computer? Go to their webpage and choose the Mac Pro.

Things that surprise me are:

1. 64GB of RAM costs $3,600. Really? For RAM? Hmm...
  2. a 2TB HDD for $300. Again, you can get a WD Caviar Black 2TB HDD for half of that.
  3. A Disc Drive and burner for $100? You can pick up one of these at micro center for $17.
  4. $1000 for a 27" screen. Do I really need to say anything else?

:whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom