Not taking technology for granted

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedubaya

Golden Master
One thing I've learned from losing my broadband and going back to the days of the 9600 baud connection, my internet PC being a 233MHz Pentium MMX, 64MB RAM, 4MB video memory with integrated graphics, is that technology is not something to be taken for granted. Looking at you all from the other side of the digital divide, i realized I should have appreciated the things I had more when I had them. Even though I didn't have a 6800GT or 3mbit cable, I was way better off than I am now. I do know I wont flame things like the X800 Pro anymore, because although it is no 6800GT, its still way better that what most people have. The only person I personally know that has even close to what I have is my friend with a 9800 Pro. I am just writing this because my situation shows that technology is not something to be taken for granted, and I know I will not when I get off this farm and can experience the modern technology that you all enjoy.

I'm there with ya beedub! I don't take my stuff for granted because I've had to pay for it, and not to mention mod the hell out of my computer :D I've put in my days of 14.4 while everyone else had 56k and had 56k when everyone else had cable. I'm insanely greatful for having 3mbit cable, because when I moved once before I could only get DSL which was much slower ( yes beedub I know.."ONLY DSL he says") I've never much just had stuff handed to me, so I know how ya feel.

Modern marvels such as these really are not to be taken for granted. Just look at Nvidia Fan Boy...I really hope he knows just how thankful he should be, not saying that he isn't thankful though. That thing of his could run an entire small 3rd world Country. Anyway, it's all good beedub....ya just gotta keep saying to yourself what I say to myself...

Someday...... ;)

- Nubius

Thanks for the support, Nubius. I just have to be hoping for the day when I get a steady job, find some roommates, and get moved to civilization. Its an uphill climb, but I have to look forward, although its very, very hard when your ultra depressed. The thing is, my interests are things the farm can't offer me. People say I should find happiness in things I CAN do on the farm, being as technology is basically non-existent out here. But its just so hard for me to do....

Yeah man, my family grew up on a farm in Texas. Muleshoe, Texas to be precise...so I know exactly what you mean by they have nothin out there. Just keep doing good in school and get out to a good college and you'll be set ;)

The thing is I made a bad decision to go to a local college here at home. Thats not bad for my education really, but it really dampens my hope. I got a full scholarship there so it was hard to turn down, and they have a good IT program. My next hope is to get a good job so I can afford to get some roommates.

Yeah man the local college here sucks. Don't get rushed out though because I moved out too soon and wound up with shitty roommates with poor attitudes and one with a tweaker girlfriend and all her friends that wouldn't ever stop coming over =/ Now I'm back at home and looking to move back out come mid-way next year. Every year I keep hoping something will be different and it usually isn't, life is a repetative beeotch like that unless you really strive to do something about it. Don't let shit get ya down. I've been there and it's a worthless place to be.

Someday...... ;)

- Nubius

no whats sad is how many folks around think an ati9800 is a good card,its fair, but as graphics cards go its a cheap POS,but it also depends on what your doing

its also sad how many folks think they need a speedy computer to do ordinary tasks

with a properly setup x86 machine @800mhz/200mhz fsb/128mb ram/8mb ram cheapo video card you can surf,burn a cd, download 8 bittorrents, and watch a movie ALL at the same time without a problem,thats a fair amount of work going on on a $200 box :)

Here is a screenshot of the speeds I am getting when dialing up. People don't realize there are some people still on the other side of the digital divide and do deal with these types of things.

mynewreality.jpg

with a properly setup x86 machine @800mhz/200mhz fsb/128mb ram/8mb ram cheapo video card you can surf,burn a cd, download 8 bittorrents, and watch a movie ALL at the same time without a problem,thats a fair amount of work going on on a $200 box
Most people here are gamers, and you can't game with that...beyond that, there's no way you can do all those things without that machine bogging down especially with that little bit of RAM, although it's really not that taxing, the thing that takes up the most CPU is Burning the CD, downloading or surfing the web really doesn't take up that much processor activity. I was able to use 3D Studio Max 4 on my old 750MHz duron with 384mb of RAM, but it was incredibly slow, so was loading it and closing it...so I don't know about all the apps you listed...

People don't realize there are some people still on the other side of the digital divide and do deal with these types of things.
Yeah but did you realize it before or after you HAD to use it ;) Besides I was always on the slow end of technology myself....took a long time to get to this point, only within the last few months or so did I get this fast a computer (which isn't even THAT great and I had to pay for it all slowly but surely ). Think how it was when I had Mac and all my friends had PC's and got to play cool games. Always hated that, and like I said when we had 14.4 everyone else had 56k Top of the line! lol....weird to think about it now and hearing about this 'fast new connection that you can download stuff all quick'

Its just going to take a while for me to get used to this again. I thought it was slow when they lowered my wireless connection from 1mbps to 256k. 256 is so good compared to this (I was taking it for granted and forgot how slow it could be). I am going to have to start asking other people to download things as mere as video drivers for me now. :( I would give anything to have by 256k back, because eventually they would have fixed it and it would have been high speed again. Its going to take a miracle to get Cox cable out here and Direcway is so expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom