No IP address??!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmo2003

Solid State Member
Hi all,

was wondering if anyone else has had this problem before and managed to get it sorted?!

I have a compaq Presario R3116EA laptop and I connect to the internet wirelessly using a Netgear MR814v2 wireless router and a D-Link Air DWL-610 Wireless Cardbus adaptor. I use NTL as my broadband provider and got an ethernet cable from my set top box to my router.

This connection has been working fine for the last 18 months.

All of a sudden I am unable to connect :-(

WHen i looked at my Wireless Connection it says "Limited or No connectivity". I tried to log onto my router by going to http://192.168.0.1/start.htm but even that isn't working anymore!

I had a look on the Netgear "fantasticly helpful" support website (excuse the sarcasm) and it says that this is because of something to do with having no IP address?

I downloaded the latest firmware, but seems that the only way to upgrade the firmware is by going http://192.168.0.1/upgrade.cgi , which of course isn't working!?!?

After searchin many websites, some people seem to suggest that it could be to do with having XP SP2. I have had Service pack 2 installed since it was released so didn't think that a problem, but my computer did do a windows update before i lost the connection so maybe that had something to do with it?

Another webite suggested unchecking the "Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity", which i did, and yes it stopped that error, but it still won't connect!

When i click on "Repair" connection , it runs through everything and hangs when it gets to "Renewing your IP address" and eventually flags an error saying it's unable to renew the IP address...

I then ran IPCONFIG which shows:
Ehternet adaptor Wireless Network Connection 2:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . . :
Autoconfiguration IP Address . . . : 169.254.14.149
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . . . . :

I have downloaded things that claim to fix this problem such as the WinSockFix and the microsoft hotfix, but still no joy!!

It's driving me nuts, has anyone got any others?

PLease help!

You need to check the settings of te router and in order to do that it looks like you will need to use a wired connection. Just plug a ethernet cabl into the router and laptop. After you have done this you shoud be able to get an IP address and sign into the router. Once in the router you will need to check the wireless settings and make sure that you dont have WEP or WAP or MAC address filtering on. Also make sure that the wireless is enabled.
If you cant get an IP address from the sired connection either then the router might have the DHCP server turned off. IN which case you will need to assign an IP adres to your system. This is never turn off by default though. Did you get this router new or used?

Now that I have been typeing for a couple of minutes I am thinking that maybe a factory reset is in order. Which I believe involves pushing this little tiny hidden button with at paper clip for about 30 seconds.
If the router is new and it is still giving you all of these problems then there is probably something wrong with it. Return it and get a linksys

That's the windows default for no connection to the dhcp server from your ISP. Could be the router isnt pushing the IP information through, or the server has not renew your dhcp lease. Bypass the router and direct connect to the modem. Run ipconfig again, if you get the same 169.254.x.x, then contact your ISP, if you get a valid IP and can surf fine, do as the urge stated above.

Every time I have seen this problem, I have solved it by:

Turn computer(s) off.
Unplug router power cord.
Unplug cable modem power cord.

Wait 2 minutes.

Plug in cable modem. Wait until all lights stop blinking (self test mode).

Plug in router. Wait until lights stabilize as above.

Turn computer(s) on one at a time.

Not sure why it has to be in that order, but it has ALWAYS worked for me, not just on my system, but on friends' I have fixed as well.

Fallen Angel said:
That's the windows default for no connection to the dhcp server from your ISP. Could be the router isnt pushing the IP information through, or the server has not renew your dhcp lease. Bypass the router and direct connect to the modem. Run ipconfig again, if you get the same 169.254.x.x, then contact your ISP, if you get a valid IP and can surf fine, do as the urge stated above.

This IP is because he cannot get a LOCAL dhcp adress. This has nothing to do with his ISP

When the router displays that, as I said, its not finding the server address as directed by the modem. If he direct connected and got the same ip, then it would be an ISP issue, if he got a valid ip then it would be an issue in the router config. And as I stated, he should follow the advice of the_urge in that case.
Make sure you understand the nature of the reply before you respond.

I've finally managed to get connected!

I did a factory reset as suggested by the_urge, that let me conntect to the router, but not connect, so then just reset everything as suggested by F6Hawk, and don't know how or care, but it connected first time!

so big Thanks to all for replying!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom