New to Exchange Server I have a question.

Keith Bailey

Beta member
I just recently installed Exchange server 2010. Everything is up and running properly. I am just trying to figure out how to get my users to be able to email to an outside email like Gmail. Any help would be much appreciated.

Can you email any external source? Do you have your edge transport servers setup to communicate with outside sources? Some companies outsource that to a company like mimecast or proofpoint, others use internal servers like edge servers.

I haven't configured any edge transport servers. This is the first time I have installed exchange and had to do more than send emails within the domain. And no I am not able to email any outside sources yet.

So you either need to configure your own edge transport servers which will be configured to communicate out to external sources - or use a hosted solution like mimecast, proofpoint, etc which are hosted transport servers. Otherwise exchange is only aware of your internal domain and will only email within your domain.

Got you thanks for your help. I'm going to look into it a little more because its for a military unit so I have to use specific sources. Thanks for the quick answers.

Back
Top Bottom