New Scion? Or used Jeep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hikaricloud

Golden Master
I have a dilemma. I've been wanting a Jeep Wrangler for quite a while now. I've driven them before, and I feel really comfortable with them. But with the cost of getting one, it's hard for me to justify. For example, I've been having my eye on this Jeep:

Cars for Sale: 2006 Jeep Wrangler 4x4 X in Manassas Park, VA 20111: Sport Utility Details - 286896038 - AutoTrader.com

Meets all my criteria: under 50k miles, automatic (I can drive a manual, but I really don't care to), and pre-2007. I hate the new body styles. Almost $18k.

Now, I've priced out a 2010 Scion XD, added some nice extras (don't have the list with me right now), and it works out to be $18.5k tops. The extras I can remember are Bluetooth integration, remote lock/alarm/thing, rear bumper applique, auto dimming rear view mirror...some other nice stuff too, can't remember.

Looking at interest rates, the new car is the winner. I can get as low as 3.99% on 72 months with the Scion, and 5.29% on the Jeep for the same period.

Oddly enough, it's less expensive to insure the Jeep on my current policy (adding a car). Currently my monthly premium is about $45...the Scion (with 500 deductible collision) brings it up to $110, while the Jeep brings it up to $97 or so.

Doing the math, the Scion would cost me less in the long run on average...but not by a whole lot. So, give me some advice and opinions here, because I'm pretty lost on what I should do.

17487192446.286896038.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

VS.

JTKKU4B46A1002117-1c.jpg

I know about the gas, but it's only slightly worse city than my current car...scion would definitely be better for that.

Slay, I thought the same thing, but the xD is pretty nice. I'd never get the box though, no way.

My other original choices were a honda fit or a yaris, but I'm not as keen on those. The fit is still a contender as a backup, but I kinda feel odd driving the same kind of car my grandparents have, lol.

I haven't looked at option prices lately but 18.5k for a XD seems like a lot. Unless you are sold on that particular car you might want to check out some midsized cards like the Camry, Fusion, and Sonata. You should be able to get into a base model of those for close to the same price but you will get a lot more power and comfort for your $. I would also look at a Mazda 3, you should have no problem getting one for the price of that XD and it's a much more refined (and athletic :wink:) car.

I would pass on the Jeep since the alternative is a newer car that will cost you less in the long run.

The base cost for this was about 16k or so. The actual price I have is closer to 18.2k, I was just rounding up.

I'll check those out, I've been looking at so many cars lately my head's gone spinny. I really didn't want a sedan or coup, but I was okay with a hatchback type car with the right features.

The other thing I'm trying to debate is how useful the Jeep would be for hauling larger things, since that's always been a hassle for me and my Saturn. Now that I'm more financially stable, I didn't want to have to rely on my stepfather's truck for hauling things (for example, when I buy some new furniture and such).

Another thing about the Jeep I liked...I hate feeling confined in a car. And the jeep is anything but...take the top down, doors off, and drive around town. I love it. But the Scion doesn't have so much as a sunroof, and an aftermarket moon roof costs about $1300...

I dunno. I still need to test drive a few cars besides the Jeep too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom