New Home Server

NOLACop

Baseband Member
I have an old Server running windows server 2003 that I am going to set up at my house as a home server. I have a few question:

First should I keep server 2003 or should I use an open source OS for a home server?

Next is I would like to know all of the stuff you can do with a home server? I have a Seagate Home NAS now and would love to set up a home media streamer that can convert video formats on the fly. Anyone know of something like that?

I will also probably do a CCTV system.

Other than that, what other cool stuff could I do?

There's so much that you can do with a server that you'd probably be better off just googling for specific things that you want to do.

The functions you just mentioned don't even require a server OS. The OS you should use will depend on what you want to do. Not only that, but a lot of server functions can be provided by third party applications. For example, you can just grab filezilla and turn your box into an ftp server without messing with the OS.

One of the most common uses for Windows Server is to support Active Directory. If you want AD, you need Windows Server. There are Linux equivalents but most of the time it's not really worth the hassle unless you are already an expert at it. AD domains are usually used in corporate work environments but I also like to use it at home. Single sign on for all your machines, group policies for greater control, etc.

I've never heard of anything that will convert media formats while streaming. I'm not sure that it's possible.

Back
Top Bottom