New Generation iPods?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The iPods HD is not a revolving HD is it? At one point I'd thought apple said there were no moving parts on the new iPods to prevent skipping. :confused:

mac_mogul said:
The iPods HD is not a revolving HD is it? At one point I'd thought apple said there were no moving parts on the new iPods to prevent skipping. :confused:

There are two moving parts in the iPod. The HD, and the Hold switch. They eliminated the push buttons and the wheel that actually turned a while ago.

The Mini has a small revival of the push buttons, however...we'll see what happens in the future I suppose. And obviously push buttons can't have anything to do with skipping, nor are they a huge culprit of defectiveness.

mac_mogul said:

The iPod uses a 1.5" hard disk, same as your computer, just smaller. The iPod mini uses a Hitatchi 4GB Microdrive, which is the same size as a type II Compact Flash card. It doesnt skip because the hard drive only spins to refill the 32MB memory buffer. So in essense the iPod is a 32MB flash player with a hard drive expansion.

iPods do what they do, and they do it better than almost anyhting else. The only thing they might consider morphing it into would be a video player, but the price and power requirements of such a device should really mandate a whole new line. Don't mess with (near)perfection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom