New Gaming Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

DyNaStY336

In Runtime
Ok i have no experience what-so-ever building pc's but this summer i want to try to build one for gaming. i was never interested in gaming on a pc until a few weeks ago when i bought UT2004 and i cant stop playing it, now i want far-cry, doom 3, half life 2, splinter cell PT, and theif Shadows but the problem with my HP a240n is I cannot play many of those games. Now my questions are 1) would it be better (or even possible) to get the nvidia 6800 ultra (my mind is set on this card), and GIGABYTE nForce3 150 Motherboard Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 CPU, Model GA-K8NNXP (i just copied the specs from newegg :D ), and an AMD athlon 64 3400+ processor and put those into my current computer and upgrade to 1-2 GB of ram, or to build a new system starting out with the few things i just named. If building a new system would be less of a hassle and a better idea then please point me in the right direction as to if any of the components i mentioned above are bad ideas. If they are ok then what other things do I need to get to complete the system, suggestions on brand and model would be great. I have a general idea of what you need to complete a system but im sure im probably forgeting something. my budget will probably be around the 2,500 range. thanks for anyone's help who replies to this post.

I also have another question if i went with an amd fx-53 processor and a SK8N MOBO could i put that into my a240n? and if not could i transplant my dvd-rw/cd-rw drive and my cd drive into my new computer?

Just from a compatibilty standpoint your best to just build a new system, because with all the new stuff something is bound to not work together.

I'm pretty sure that the Ram the the AMD64's are compatible with is different, and it's also very pricey at the moment.

So its possible that if i got the new ram then i could use my current system with the new mobo and processor and ram (which is something i was also going to upgrade) right?

just make sure everything is compatable (cpu, mobo, hard drive, ram) and you should be fine oh and shop and newegg.com they have killer prices

ok man lets start off here if ur goin to drop the cash on the 64 bit cpu get a better graphics card nvidia is ok but ati radeon leads the field of graphics cards my recomendation is to get a radeon 9600 se - 9800 xt

Now, correct me if im wrong but
Is that your current comp under your posts?

If it is:

The system you have isnt bad - Even if I hate HPs

You should be able to run all the games you have said, if not very good

If your bent on upgrading

Grab a Radeon 9600 or 9800 pro or XT if you can afford it

maybe upgrade to a gig of ram

Otherwise if you simply want to build from scratch
with 2500 you can get a very good system- maybe even two very good systems-so you have many options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom