New build won't POST... couple quesitons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Questions:
Do I need a 8-pin processor power connector instead of the 4-pin my PSU comes with? The MSI manual shows a 8-pin connector being plugged in to the mobo during the graphical instructions on connecting everything, however, 4 of the 8 holes are covered with peice of plastic. I assumed it was OK to use the 4-pin connector because of this.

I think that's your solution. You will proably need the 8 pin CPU power connector from your PSU.

If it doesn't beep, don't even bother testing other components. Focus on the motherboard, CPU and power supply.

Oh and, that's not the bare minimum. Bare minimum is PSU, MB, CPU, 1 RAM, vid card, keyboard and monitor. Once you get it to POST 1 beep and visual, then you can start adding devices to install your OS.

Your motherboard will communicate with you through sound if you don't have a video card installed. It should beep indicating that you don't have a video card, refer to your manual or motherboard documentation for the beep message. If you don't have a working monitor and video card is working fine, it should beep once but you won't see any visual. One beep is a good indication that your core hardware is working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom