New build with low heat output

I will stick with the 1050 because I don't even play Battlefield or Overwatch or high graphics games like that, not sure why I mentioned those lol. I guess I was thinking about picking them up but I dont think I will.
Overwatch is pretty damn good though.

Is this RAM good?
Yes, but you don't need RAM that fast and probably never will. I have 3000s and don't even run them that fast.

Also, is there much of a difference between the i5-6500 and 6400? Do you think it's worth the extra $20?
That's really up to you. The speed increase is pretty decent between the two, but at the same time either will be night and day compared to your old i7.

Also, what size case will work for this build? Smaller would be nice, but I understand it would mean not as good air flow as a larger case. What do you think?
Depends on which board you get.

My PSU is not modular so it takes up a ton of room with all the wires even in a full tower case, should I get a modular one or just keep this one?
Again up to you. There are several ways to hide unused cables or you can go convenience.

Ok I'll stick with the 8GB RAM you linked. I just found the 16GB one because you suggested to spring for it if I had the cash in your previous post.

I'll also go with the i5-6500.

I think I'll go with the micro atx motherboard. Is the main difference between them the fact that the micro mobo has less ram slots, usb slots, etc? It looks like it has 6 usb ports (4 2.0, 2 3.0) and that's enough for me. And the ram slots is good for me, and I only need one GPU.

So with the micro atx mobo, what size case can I get?

Maybe I'll wait to see how everything fits in a new case before I decide on whether I want to get a modular PSU. For future reference if I decide to get one, which do you recommend?

Any big difference between the SC and SSC GPUs? All I'm seeing is a slight increase in core/boost clock speed in SSC over SC, and the SSC is larger in dimensions. I'm not sure why they would sell 2 different versions that are only $10 apart. They run circles around my old GPU though obviously, so I'm probably just overthinking this.

Last edited:
k I'll stick with the 8GB RAM you linked. I just found the 16GB one because you suggested to spring for it if I had the cash in your previous post.
No, 16GB is fine I was just talking about the speed. The RAM you linked is perfectly fine, but if you experience any crashes using the XMP profile then you'll need to be able to manually decrease the RAM speed.

I think I'll go with the micro atx motherboard. Is the main difference between them the fact that the micro mobo has less ram slots, usb slots, etc? It looks like it has 6 usb ports (4 2.0, 2 3.0) and that's enough for me. And the ram slots is good for me, and I only need one GPU.
You can get either of the 3 chipsets in mATX or mITX (smaller than mATX) with all features from Z170 to H170 to H110. The feature differences are in the chipset, not the form factor (size). Get what suits what features you need. Always remember (for 2016 that is) that USB2 ports aren't really needed beyond 2 (mouse and keyboard support for Windows 7 IF needed) and that a USB3 port handles well with a hub. All of my devices on my machine actually run off a USB 3.1 Gen 2 port. That includes 2 external SSDs, mouse/KB, Xbox One wireless adapter, CronuxMAX+, joystick, and Oculus Rift.

So with the micro atx mobo, what size case can I get?
Any size you want that fits an mATX board lol. With a smaller than 10.5" graphics card what can be used is greatly increased in terms of smallness. It's pretty personal preference, so if you really want me to help go ahead and link a few you like and I'll give my opinion on them.

Maybe I'll wait to see how everything fits in a new case before I decide on whether I want to get a modular PSU. For future reference if I decide to get one, which do you recommend?
Honestly, if you for real won't be hardcore gaming ever a quality 500 or 550W PSU is all you need. Here are some of my choices in no particular order.

CORSAIR RMx Series RM550X 550W 80 PLUS GOLD Haswell Ready Full Modular ATX12V & EPS12V SLI and Crossfire Ready Power Supply-Newegg.com
SeaSonic SS-520FL2 520W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply-Newegg.com
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2 220-P2-0650-X1 80+ PLATINUM 650W Fully Modular EVGA ECO Mode Includes FREE Power On Self Tester Power Supply-Newegg.com

Any big difference between the SC and SSC GPUs? All I'm seeing is a slight increase in core/boost clock speed in SSC over SC, and the SSC is larger in dimensions. I'm not sure why they would sell 2 different versions that are only $10 apart. They run circles around my old GPU though obviously, so I'm probably just overthinking this.
Just a designation for factory overclock. The only cards that make a difference with them are FTW, Classified, Kingpin, and Hydrocopper editions. They sell the different versions for marketing purposes, like how you were questioning the 20 dollar difference between the 6400 and 6500 in hopes of people saying "Oh 10-20 bucks for slightly higher clocks isn't bad" when the manufacturing costs for each card is the same until the FTW edition. I would just get the cheapest which should be the smaller looking one.

Awesome thanks.

So for the RAM should I get the 16GB one I linked or should I get another one? How would I go about adjusting the speed if I experience a crash?

Here are a couple of cases I was looking at. I watched the LinusTechTips unboxing videos for them and they look pretty neat.

Cooler Master N200

Fractal Design Arc Mini R2

What do you think?

The Corsair H60 I have is a 120mm fan, and both of those cases have support for that fan size.

Thanks so much for your help!

This is what the final build looks like:
RAM ($83)
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Memory

Mobo ($58)
ASUS H110M-E/M.2 LGA 1151 Intel H110 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Motherboard

GPU ($150)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SC GAMING

CPU ($200)
Intel Core i5-6500 6MB Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1151 65W

Case ($100)

Looks to be a grand total of $591, not including any shipping.

Then these are the parts I already have:
SSD
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD

PSU
CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W

HDD
Western Digital Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

DVD Drive
SAMSUNG 22X DVD

Also, do I need thermal compound? I don't have any. Is Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste good for me?

Looks fine to me, and yea I mentioned you'll need to clean and repaste your H60 earlier in the thread. I'd use Arctic MX-4

Thanks so much for your help once again! I just was offered a new job, so I will be moving to a new state within a few weeks or so, so I will hold off on buying the parts until I get into my new place.

Once I get the build together I'll definitely update with my thoughts and with some pics!

Thanks so much for your help!

This is what the final build looks like:
RAM ($83)
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Memory

Mobo ($58)
ASUS H110M-E/M.2 LGA 1151 Intel H110 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Motherboard

GPU ($150)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SC GAMING

CPU ($200)
Intel Core i5-6500 6MB Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1151 65W

Case ($100)

Looks to be a grand total of $591, not including any shipping.

Then these are the parts I already have:
SSD
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD

PSU
CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W

HDD
Western Digital Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

DVD Drive
SAMSUNG 22X DVD

Also, do I need thermal compound? I don't have any. Is Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste good for me?

Well, 7 months flew by quickly lol. Didn't get the parts yet, had a ton of other expenses come up and was too busy to play much video games. I am getting ready to buy the parts though. Since I last posted this, should I change any of the parts? E.g. if new ones came out or something. If not, I'll go ahead and order these parts.

I've been playing black desert online a lot, if that helps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom