Network Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timaphillips

In Runtime
The company I work for needs to upgrade from an external hard drive (hooked up to one of the computers on the network) to a network storage device. Automatic backup software is a must. Please help. CNET.com hasn't really pointed me in any direction.

Look into a new software from microsoft called Home Server...it lets one pc act as a hub for the others. You could just load a [SNIPPED] of HDs into one of the pcs, run homeserver, and it will backup the other machines to it every night.

My suggestion would be too use a spare computer as a file server, either by installing a server OS on it such as windows server 2000, or by using a standard operating system and setting the hard drive to shared

or, alternitvely, you can buy one of these:
dabs.com - Western Digital My Book World 500GB 7200RPM Ethernet 10/100/1000 (WDG1NC5000)

my company just bought 2 of these as a form of backup. we're planning on setting up a system where we swap them round each month, so if there's a fire or something, we'll have the latest backup safe.

of course the Mybook comes with backup software and is meant to connect to a network router or switch, which sounds ideal for your situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom