Network Stopped Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Freezie

Beta member
I have a Mac OS 9.1 and a Windows XP both sharing the internet through a Linksys router. Everythng has been working smoothly for about 5 months now, and about a week ago occasionally the internet would stop working for about 1 minute, and then come back on. I asked someone why this might happen, and he said spyware. So I downloaded a spyware removal client and ran it. After that my internet would not come back on, so I turned off the power to my cable modem and router, took all the cords out, and the put them back in and restored power. Now, on the Windows XP it says my local area connection has limited or no connectivity and I cannot access the Internet, I tried to repair it, but it said the IP Address could not be renewed. The internet through my Mac still works perfectly. I made sure all cables are connected, and still no luck. I have no idea what is going on. Do you guys know how to fix it? Thanks in advance.

Oh yes I forgot to say that it says that the network didn't assign a network address, I was also reading somewhere that if you have 169. before your IP address then that means Windows couldn't access the Internet or something like that. My IP address does have 169 before it.

You could still be dealing with a virus or spyware. Other things I would double check. Swap the Ethernet cables to make sure the one to the PC hasn't gone bad. I've had a couple Ethernet adapters die slowly and exhibit that behavior. You might consider getting and installling a new Ethernet adapter in the PC (either USB or PCI-based). Also, try a different port on the router if you haven't already. I've had a single port on a router go bad. (Currently have that on a Linksys 8-port [now 7-port] switch.)

your DHCP assigned IP expired. happens all the time...all you have to do is to do a hard restart on the router and reconfigure it... there are other ways, but this is the most effective and quickest for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom