Network Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

talon3659

Beta member
Hi,
I am having trouble connecting my computer to an already established network in my home. The pc can connect to the internet but wont connect to the network. When i run the Network Setup Wizard in XP and tell it my settings (first "other" then "This computer connects to the Internet directly...Other computers on my network also connect to the Internet..."), I get a problem where it askes me to select a "Local Area Connection" and the two choices are Local Area Connection and 1394 Connection. I however do not use the 1394 connection at all to connect to anything. Depending on my choice, the "Ready to apply network settings..." page tells me that the Internet connection is the one i chose but the connection to my network is the other one. None of my other computers have this problem as they dont have 1394 connections and the only connection i want to use is the Network (Cat5) connection to connect to the internet and the network. If you want some screenshots of what im talking about i can give those to you. Any help would be appreciated. thx

what do you mean exactly? you cant see the other pc's on the network?

are you using DHCP? or static?

sry its been a while. there are no firewalls on the computers but there is one built in the router (linksys befsr41). all computers are using dhcp and all obtain addresses automatically. the problem is that for one computer, there are two types of connections and the computer thinks that i want to use both (one to connect to the internet and one to connect to the network) but i only want to use one (to connect to the internet AND the network). i am doing this by the use of the router so that a connection to the internet and the network are shared on one connection. the two connections are firewire and lan and the lan is the one i want to connect with. however when i run the network wizard i only get the option to use one for either internet and the other for networking. hope this helps a bit more. if not i can try to explain again (not the best to explain this cause i dont know what is happening myself :| )

try disconnecting the connections that you don't want to use. Then run the wizard again, when it asks you something abotu connections to use there will be a check box at the lower left corner that says something the effect of "ignore disconnected connections" check that and it will only use the connected one. That or you could set them all up in a work group which you will do from MY computer, properties, computer name, change, and in there select work group and make sure you set them all to the same name.

I hope this is what you were asking and i hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom