Network Issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter.Cort

TF's First Dry Ice User!
so i just reinstalled vista on my laptop, and ive had some issues with the network on it as of late. i moved my wireless router into a new thingy i got and i thought it might be an issue connecting to the router, signal blocking. the router was partly to blame in all of this as it kept kicking my other computers off the net... so i went out and got a new router and plugged it in, set everything up and its been working flawlessly for a few hours. problem is it only works for my lappy when its directly connected with an ethernet port.. all the other computers work fine on wifi though. this leads me to believe that it is an issue with my wireless card. also when i try to open up networking options, it freezes and doesn't let me do anything. its like my system is under super amounts of stress, even though i know its not, and everything else starts right up. anything that involves connecting to the internet is messed up, even when i'm directly connected with an ethernet wire... soooo any ideas?

Reinstall the card? Don't use 3rd party software for wirless connections, I always use Microsoft's.

Also is this a Linksys router? If so, they are known (not sure if they've fixed the issue) to drop signals periodically (like 3 - 5 times a day). The signal quality was poor and intermitten. Go D-Link if it wa a Linksys.

i had a linksys router and it worked fine but i switched over to a dlink and im still having the problem.

When you say it worked fine before. Do you mean on this new install or on your previous install?

ok, it works now, sort of. i have a wifi connection and i can get on the internet and stuff with it, but its showing up as there's no connection to the internet, and its the x over the 2 computers, like the no network found thing. and it still takes forever to load up any network related page off the control panel or anything...

It still sounds like a bad driver to me. There is no reason for it to bog down like that when you load up the network connections.

i reinstalled the driver 3 different times from 3 different sources, and there are no earlier or later driver updates that i can find. and its worked fine before 2 days ago..

When you uninstall the drivers are you restarting your computer? I would also restart the router itself. Sometimes the router will hold your laptops address so when you reinstall in the laptop driver it will look as if it had never been removed. BEst thing to do is start from scratch. So uninstall the driver. Turn off the laptop, unplug the router and wait 10-15 seconds, then plug the router in and wait for it to get an ip. Then turn the laptop on and install the driver. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom