Network connection problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyaka

Solid State Member
I have a wired network between two computers and a cable modem.
One computer is running Windows XP Home, this one is connected to the network and the internet and all runs smoothly.

The other is running XP Pro. I had this working once and I don't know how. At the moment it gets to "aquiring network address" then (upon failure) goes to limited or no connectivity.

It doesn't even find the router on XP Pro!

The time I got it working on network connection wizard it found an unknown device to connect to, same with this comp on xp home. now it doesn't.

Before you ask YES ALL WIRES ARE CONNECTED PROPERLY!!

Any suggestions?

the thing is, the xp pro box doesn't find the router and vice versa. It does not get past aquiring network address. I know the router is set up ok because it works fine for this computer. And i've had it working before.
The wires are definitely connected properly and it is the right type of wire because as ive said it worked before. We're talking worked one min, restarted computer and stopped working.

Ok,if bot are computers are wired.Then on the XP pro do you have your TCP/IP properties set up to were to optain a IP automattically and also DNS?

yup, TCP/IP is set to automatically find IP, DNS and so on.
It is set up identically to the working PC... that's why it's so confusing.

I read somewhere (prob computer shopper) that some programs conflict with network on XP, anyone know what they are. Cus this comp is freshly installed... virtually empty wheras the XP Pro pc is over a year old and full of stuff.

both working correctly, different network card has no effect either...

4 ports, when it worked it was in port two, tried all the others since, no joy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom