Network Cable Unplugged problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares82

Baseband Member
Ok well I have 2 computers networked and my client computer has now started showimg me the Network Cable Unplugged messages. The thing is, the cable is not unplugged I made sure of that, and even unplugged it and plugged it back in just to make sure it wasn't loose or something. I've had this network setup for 6 months now and never had a problem until now.

The message doesn't show up all the time, it just shows up when I try to go to a webpage or download something and it keeps going on and off, on and off. It will eventually get to the webpage. It's like someone keeps pulling out the cable and plugging it back in every second.

Just some details about my network. I have two Win Xp computers. The host is connected to a Linksys RT31P2 Router, which is connected to the cable modem. From the linksys I have a connection to a Corinex PowerNet Ethernet Adapter, which is connected to an electric plug and the client computer is connected to another Corinex PowerNet Ethernet Adapter.

Again I've had this setup running for 6 months and had no problems until now. The host computer is not showing any problems either.

HELP PLEASE!!!

Im having a similar problem which ive been having for about a year now but my host computer gets that problem but my other computers are even worse

Try testing the pysical cables and switches first. Also the contacts and connections on the network card maybee bad.

This will almost always be a pysical problem.

Thanks I'll stop buy radio shack tomorrow and buy a new cable, see if that helps. I just don't see why it started now all of a sudden, but I'll try connecting with a new cable and see what heppens then.

Well it's deffinatly not the cables, went and bought one today and same problem. Also the adapters are working fine. The leds are all green and the software that came with em shows that they are working just fine.

So I guess it sounds like it's the network card. Anyways for me to be sure without putting in a different one (which I don't have)?

You can move it to another slot if it's a PCI card. You can do a loopback test. Open up command prompt and ping 127.0.0.1 verify you get some reply back. If you card is good, then the only problem left is the Corinex. You can verify this issue by plugging the client into the router. Which I recommend doing and don't understand why it's plug into the corinex. Is it because the wired don't reach the router or something?

Ok so I don't think it's my NIC cause I ping 127.0.0.1 and it works fine on both computers. Also a weird thing I just noticed is that I can ping the computer that's having problems from the working computer, but I can't ping the working computer from the one that's having the problem.

Law let me see if I can draw my set up to help clear things up.

Comp 1 = Computer in my room (works fine)
Comp 2 = Computer in my living room (the one having the problems)

M = Cable Modem
R = Router

Adp 1 = Corilex Adapter in my room
Adp 2 = Corilex Adapter in the living room

AC 1 = AC Outlet in my room
AC 2 = AC Outlet in the living room

This is how it is set up:

M---------------------
|
Comp 1 <--------> R <---------> Adp 1 <-----> AC 1
|
|
This part here is my houses electric wiring
---------------------------------------------------------
|
|
|
AC 2 <--------> Adp 2 <--------->Comp 2

Basically the two adapters use my electrical wiring in the house as a bridge. So instead of having a long wire running through my house from the router to to the second computer in my living room I have this set up. Hope that helps clear this up.

P.S. Ok it's not exactly showing up as I typed it. The modem is supposed to be connected to the Router and AC 1 is supposed to be connected to AC 2

Yep it does help me visualize your network layout.

Now ping your default gateway, on the non working computer if you open up command prompt and do ipconfig /all it will list your default gateway. You can ping it, this will try to communicate with the router. Because this is what I am assuming the problem is because you can use the comp1 to ping comp2 but comp2 can not ping comp1 because it can't either leave from the corinex or the router to get to comp1. But since comp1 can reach comp2 I don't think it's the corinex, I think it's the router that is causing the problem with comp2. That is what I'm thinking is it's getting passed the Corinex but not the router.

Ok I succesfully pinged the default gateway on the non working computer, so it looks like you're right, now what can I do to fix this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom