Network Adapter Problem. Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

flip12589

Beta member
PROBLEM

I have a problem, one day i had my cable internet plugged in and was happy.
Everything was fine till about 1 week ago. It just totally stopped working. Now, my dad has SBC DSL and Adelphia High speed. Its the adelphia im having a problem with. Back on topic, so the adelphia is messed up so i switch to the dsl thinking "ill just use the DSL till the cable is fixed." Well it did get fixed and now i unplugged the DSL and plugged in my cable. Well now the cable wont wokr on my computer, the connection doesnt even show up in NETWORK CONNECTIONS in the CONTROL PANEL. I reestarted the modem and the 2 switches. My dads laptop is having the same problem as I am because he switched connections as well. The two computers that we left the cable in have no problems at all. ONly the ones we switched the connections have this problem. We have everything hooked up right, we know this because the 2 out of 4 computers are working. also because the 2 that arent working, arent working because we switched the connections back and forth.

HOW WE'RE CONNECTED

Modem is downstairs and so is 1 computer.
2 switches - 1 upsrtairs 1 down.
3 computer upstairs.

modem connects to switch downstairs, from that switch it goes to my dads comp, then another cab;le from the same switch goes upstairs to another switch and 3 computers plug into that. The computer downstairs and 1 computer upstairs work.

if anyone knows what the problem is or knows how to fix this problem PLEASE help.

Thanks in advance.

What OS are you using?

When you use your DSL connection, do you need to install anything to get it to work?
Check to see if you have hard set IP addresses. Go to a command line, type ipconfig /all for WIN2k and XP and for 98 type winipcfg at the Run dialog. If they are non DHCP that might explain something. Also, do you have a router in place to act as a DHCP server? If you are just running off the modem to the switch, you will be trying to get mulitple addresses off of a limited address connection.

My 2 Cents

Thanks for replying.

Q: What OS are you using?

A: Win XP.

Q: When you use your DSL connection, do you need to install anything to get it to work?

A: Yes.

Q: Check to see if you have hard set IP addresses. Go to a command line, type ipconfig /all for WIN2k and XP and for 98 type winipcfg at the Run dialog. If they are non DHCP that might explain something. Also, do you have a router in place to act as a DHCP server? If you are just running off the modem to the switch, you will be trying to get mulitple addresses off of a limited address connection.

A: It says DHCP is enabled.

So you have no router on this setup?
Then you need to get one and use that to get all of your machine taking. Place the router next to your Modem. Connect as follows:
Modem to router, then attach both swtiches to the router. This way the router is the IP lease spot, not your ISP. Also it allows you to connect as machine machines as you like.

You only need to configure the Router for the PPOE stuff that the Modem needes (Dialer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom